Rowers Hope to Be in Charge of the Charles

While most alumni, parents and friends of Dartmouth will flock to Hanover to take in the festivities of Homecoming Weekend, the Big Green rowing squads will head two hours southeast to Cambridge, Massachusetts to compete in the 37th Head of the Charles crew regatta on Sunday.

Crews from across the country and around the world will strut their stuff in front of several hundred thousand spectators this weekend. It is sure to be crowded by the Charles River.

The heavyweight squad, which finished a solid fifth at last week's Stonehurst Capitol Regatta, will be competing against forty other crews for the first place prize. However, boats from Germany, France and Croatia in addition to the U.S. National Team have other plans in mind: the Men's Championship Eight is likely to come down to a battle between those crews.

On the women's side, Dartmouth's first boat will be rowing in a very crowded field of fifty-four crews as they attempt to capture the Women's Championship Eight on the five-kilometer course.

The lightweights' main competition will be coming from fellow Ivy League rivals in Yale, Princeton and Harvard as well as a feisty Hoya crew from Georgetown.

All crews will race upstream from Boston University's DeWolfe Boathouse to one-half mile beyond the Charles Eliot Bridge.