Kickers Take Aim at Hawks

This is the biggest opportunity for the Dartmouth Big Green men's soccer team in a long time.

Still reeling from four tough losses in a row--despite outplaying 24th-ranked Yale last Saturday--the booters have a great opportunity to break out of their funk against the Hartwick Hawks this Saturday at Chase Field.

The Hawks come in to Hanover riding the same rough horse as Dartmouth. After winning their first four games, they have dropped six out of their last seven, and have been blanked in their last four losses. All this, despite having one of the most dangerous forwards in the country in Rob Catana (4g, 1a), a preseason All-America pick.

At last report, the Hawks' regular starting goalie, Randall Moate, is out with a shoulder injury, giving replacement Adam Parsells the task of stopping the Dartmouth offense.

But that offense is one that has been struggling just as much as their Hartwick foes. With four goals in six games--including none in the last four losses--the Big Green men need a spark to wake them from their funk.

That spark could be Matt LaBarre '04, who quietly has been waiting to display the scoring prowess he showcased last season as Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

The team is still without the services of center back Mike Vidmar '03, midfielder Tom Billings '03 and now the speedy Rob Daly '04, who is out with a scratched cornea received in the Yale game.

Hartwick is somewhat of an enigma.

Ranked as high as No. 18 four games into the season, the Hawks have stumbled into a downward spiral as a result of injuries and bad luck. The same story can be written for the Big Green though, making it difficult to predict the outcome of this game.

Most likely, the difference tomorrow is going to be who wants it more.

The loser is going to be in a very difficult position, while the winners will have turned their season around.

This is just the opportunity Dartmouth needs, especially in front of the home fans.