Kesler '03 elected moderator

The Greek Leaders Council elected two of its three officers in its first meeting last night, moving one step closer to getting down to the job of governing Dartmouth's Greek system.

Brent Kesler '03 of Alpha Theta co-ed house was elected to the position of moderator and Stephen Dietz '02 of Theta Delta Chi fraternity was elected to the position of social events manager.

Three people ran for the position of moderator and two ran for the position of social events manager according to Eric Powers '02, president of the Interfraternity Council, who is also a member of The Dartmouth's sports staff. Nominations were handled through the presidents of the various Greek houses.

Many people were interested in the position of public relations manager but the election was not held because of the need to clarify the jobs at the Office of Residential Life interns and their relation to the role of the PR manager, according to Tasha Francis '02, president of the Panhellenic Council.

The victory "really is an honor," said Kesler

Kesler is "a very diligent worker," said Powers. Kesler also served as president of his house in the Spring and Summer terms.

Kesler sees the role of moderator not as a chance to expand his own ideas but to let others enact theirs.

"The moderator can't be someone who is a visionary," he said, "it's someone who has to know how to step back and let the machinery run smoothly."

With its new officers the GLC "can finally get down to the business of running the Greek system," said Francis.

"The next step is to have a good meeting and get these two -- soon to be three -- roles in place and establish the new governing body of the Greek system," added Powers.

"The GLC is basically a meeting place. I wanted to be a part of that," said Kesler.

Both the PR manager and the social events manager receive a $400 stipend every term. The next meeting of the GLC is next Tuesday at 10:00 p.m.