Juniors will 'Kiss and Tell' on DTV

Coming to DTV in Winter term 2002: "Sex and the City" at Dartmouth?

For that student demographic that's eagerly awaiting the remainder of the HBO hit's fourth season, the recently formed IMAGO Media group is putting together its own take on the show -- an exploration of the dating habits of coeds at the College.

Over a five-episode arc scheduled to premiere in the first week of the new year, "Kiss and Tell" will address such topics as stereotypes in gender roles and misconceptions concerning Dartmouth's hookup culture -- likely interspersed with quite a bit of sex.

As with Sex and the City, Kiss and Tell will center around four single women -- in this case, members of the Class of 2003 -- with differing motivations and perspectives on the dating scene.

An early script excerpt from the first episode describes Dartmouth as the "Grand Canyon of dating."

The selection goes on to describe the practice of engaging in fraternity hookups and other (unprintable) actions to the "sweet sounds of Sir Mix-a-Lot."

The issue of defining which potentially lurid elements are creatively appropriate and which cross standards is one that IMAGO's creative team wrestles with in their weekly meetings.

Some aspects "will definitely be a surprise to some people," IMAGO President Amit Anand '03 said.

In a BlitzMail message to The Dartmouth, Anand and Christina Picone '03 warned, "don't be surprised to find a character using a vibrator -- we didn't make this stuff up!"

One line IMAGO has already drawn is on the issue of nudity. While the subject matter and dialogue is intended to be provocative, Anand explained that the occasional shirtless male is all the skin viewers should expect to catch.

In researching their topics, IMAGO's aims have grown from simply talking among friends to gathering groups of Dartmouth women to discuss what dating at the College means to them. IMAGO has also spoken with a number of male students.

Anand reported that casting was completed last week with a "huge turnout" of auditioning students. Production on the first episode will begin next week.

Formed by five friends last summer, IMAGO Media currently consists of roughly 30 writers, producers, actors and makeup artists. Within these ranks are four or five film majors, a number of persons studying creative writing, and many more who simply hold an extracurricular interest in producing a television show.

IMAGO takes its title from the word's two definitions: it's both a mature insect waiting to come out of its cocoon and a perfected form of self. Anand explained that the former meaning refers to the growth of their organization, and the latter denotes the product they hope to create.