Homecoming 2001 Editors' note

Dartmouth students take their celebrations seriously, and Homecoming is no exception. The weekend's packed schedule can make it easy to forget that ultimately, traditions are defined by what we take from them.

More than any of the other big weekends, Homecoming belongs to the Class of 2005. We were there once, too -- whether cheering on our classmates at Memorial Field, getting trampled at the bonfire by the rampaging members of the men's rugby team or simply enjoying a well-earned break.

The Alumni, who return to campus this time of year to reunite with classmates and to relive their own time at the College, also help define the weekend. With their presence, they remind us that Homecoming is a welcome not only to the newest additions to the Dartmouth community, but to all those who came before them.

It's hard to celebrate this year -- Dartmouth lost nine of its own that September morning. On a day in which scores of enthusiastic freshmen were arriving on campus to begin their DOC Trips, we were reminded in the most painful manner that there is a big, complicated world beyond Hanover.

To the 2005s: We could try to offer some helpful advice on how to spend your weekend, but you probably already realize that the memories created and lessons carried on by elder classes don't really matter. In the end, Homecoming amounts to little more than what you choose to make of it.

So forget about that bio midterm; be safe, have fun and get out there.