Fleet's got Ray's number

BOSTON " Ray Bourque was immortalized as the Boston Bruins retired his number 77 before their home opener against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. Bourque is now one of just eight Bruins' legends to have his number hanging from the rafters.

Joining Bourque on the ice for the festivities were his family and the four living members of that elite group--Johnny Bucyk, Milt Schmidt, Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr. After 20 years as a Bruin, Bourque finally won a Cup with Colorado.

After some routine introductions and a short video commemorating Bourque's career, the man of the hour stepped onto the ice. All 17,565 fans erupted as Bourque placed his Bruins home jersey over his head and onto his shoulders where it rested for 20 years as a Bruin.

Receiving a thunderous ovation that would last over five minutes, Bourque was reminded why he calls Boston home.

Bourque received one of his own sticks from NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, who had the stick silver plated in tribute. Calling Bourque "the consummate role model on and off the ice," Bettman added that the silver stick would "keep [Bourque] occupied until the Hall of Fame."

Terry O'Reilly, Bourque's former Bruins teammate and friend, presented him with a jersey for his playing days to come with the Bruins Alumni squad. O'Reilly joked, "Be patient, it's going to take you a couple of years to get down to our level."

Bourque was traded from Boston to Colorado in March 2000, ending two decades of play with the Bruins organization. The trade was a request from Bourque, who sought his first Stanley Cup, citing the need for one more chance with a contending team.

After a highly publicized, exciting and emotional playoff run earlier this year, Bourque emerged with the Cup held high overhead and his dreams fulfilled.

Raymond Bourque would have his name on the ultimate prize in hockey. Finally.

"There is one regret I have," Bourque said to the fans, "to not have won a Stanley Cup for you people."

The Boston fans reacted appreciatively and showed him that they knew and understood why he needed to chase that dream.

Twenty-two seasons, five Norris trophies for the league's best defenseman, 1579 points, 19 All-Star selections and one Stanley Cup later, Bourque is home where he belongs. The Boston fans will forever hold a place for Bourque in their hearts.

Following the ceremony, the Bruins cruised to a 4-2 win in their season opener -- seemingly a fitting tribute to an outstanding player.

Sophomore Colin Ingram was in attendance at the Fleet Center last Thursday as the legendary Ray Bourque's number 77 was retired.