Emmy Awards offers new tone, familiar nominees

For nearly two weeks, the news monopolized the small screen and television became the most important thing in the world to both those searching for their loved ones among the missing and those interested in what the President and his men were going to do next.

As a consequence of this full coverage of the "Attack on America," however, nearly all new programs set to premiere were postponed and television's biggest event, the 53rd Annual Emmy Awards, was pushed back by three weeks, marking the longest delay in Hollywood awards-show history. Not only has the ceremony been postponed, but this year, the awards show will have a much different feel than in previous years; in fact, it will be almost unrecognizable.

In the spirit of the arts, "the show must go on" and the Emmy Awards is set to take place this Sunday, Oct. 7. However, the recent attacks have perpetuated new fears of flying and casts of many shows such as HBO's "Sex and the City" and "The Sopranos" have refused to head to the West Coast. As a result, the awards will be bi-coastal this year; the majority of the show will still air from the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. but will be supplemented with shots from NBC's Manhattan studio.

Ellen DeGeneres will remain host of the affair, but, instead of mimicking Gary Shandling's comedic hosting performance last year, her witty monologue has been cut in order to make room for Walter Cronkite who will handle the evening's opening remarks.

The dress code has been changed to "dressy business attire" so don't wait around to see those beautiful gowns and expensive tuxedos as usual. In fact, the red carpet will be very low-key, with bleachers and fan areas completely eliminated from the scene for security purposes.

The prestigious annual post-show "Governor's Ball" will still be held, but is now called a more politically correct "Unity Dinner," and many networks have canceled their aprs-show parties.

Video montages honoring the heroes and victims of the national tragedy will be shown, and there will be a moment of silence in remembrance of David Angell, the producer of "Cheers" and "Frasier" who died in one of the plane crashes.

While the show will still air so that life can "go back to normal," this year's Emmy Awards will be anything but "normal." Yet even in the midst of the sadness surrounding the attacks, we must not forget those who made us laugh, cry and feel through it all.

Here is a look at this year's nominees and my personal expectations and predictions for this year's 53rd Annual Emmy Awards. HBO's "The Sopranos" has the most nominations of any show this year (22) followed by NBC's "The West Wing" (18). "Will & Grace" (12) and "Frasier"(11) were the most nominated sitcoms and HBO has the most nominations of any channel (94). And the nominees are

Outstanding Drama Series

"ER"

"The Sopranos"

"The Practice"

"The West Wing"

"Law & Order"

My vote: "The Sopranos"

Who will win: "The West Wing"

This one will come down to a battle between the government and the mob. Even though the votes were cast before the attacks, the Academy will most likely opt for the more patriotic "West Wing".

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Andre Braugher, "Gideon's Crossing''

Dennis Franz, "NYPD Blue''

James Gandolfini, "The Sopranos''

Rob Lowe, "The West Wing''

Martin Sheen, "The West Wing''

My vote: Rob Lowe, "The West Wing"

Who will win: Martin Sheen, "The West Wing"

Once again, this one is between the boss of our nation and "the boss". Odds are Sheen will pull through with flying colors, but, while Gandolfini captured the hearts of viewers again this year, I certainly have my eye on Rob Lowe.

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Lorraine Bracco, "The Sopranos''

Amy Brenneman, "Judging Amy''

Edie Falco, "The Sopranos''

Marg Helgenberger, "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation''

Sela Ward, "Once and Again''

My vote: Lorraine Bracco, "The Sopranos"

Who will win: Lorraine Bracco, "The Sopranos"

There's no contest here in my opinion. After three great season's on HBO's "The Sopranos," this year Bracco wowed us with her graphic rape scene and definitely deserves to join co-star Falco and take home an Emmy.

Outstanding Comedy Series

"Everybody Loves Raymond''

"Frasier''

"Malcolm in the Middle''

"Sex and the City''

"Will & Grace''

My vote: "Will & Grace"

Who will win: "Malcolm in the Middle"

Even though "Will & Grace" continues to shock me with it's hilarious no-holds-bars approach to homosexuality, Fox's hit "Malcolm in the Middle" has been a favorite amongst tv critics this year and will probably take home the Emmy.