College to clarify Greek proposals

The Dartmouth administration plans on releasing a document that will clarify the recommendations in the Greek Life Steering Committee's report sometime soon, possibly as early as today.

The GLSC report was finally released this summer to much controversy as at least five of 15 student committee members complained that they had not been allowed to see a final draft of the document before its release to the campus.

The committee process had dragged on for seven months previous to its June release, delayed by internal dissent among the 31 members. The Committee was charged with devising the implementation and practical aspects of the Student Life Initiative.

Several of the student members complained that their input was not considered by the committee's leaders. "The committee was merely set up to give the impression of student involvement," Ryan Clark '01 previously told The Dartmouth.

According to Dean of the College James Larimore, between six and eight recommendations were accepted and are being implemented, while other recommendations where there "wasn't clear agreement" were sent back for additional discussion.

Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said about 12 items were being sent to a committee that will be set up to discuss them further. He also said that at least one recommendation will not be implemented.

"I don't think anyone will be surprised by the content," Redman said.

Redman would not comment on the specific recommendations, as he wanted Greek leaders to find out the information from ORL.

The administration's efforts have "focused on the core principles that the members of the GLSC endorsed unanimously last year," Larimore said. "We took those items where there was clear agreement and moved forward on those items."

The timeline of the projects will vary, Larimore said. While some, such as winter rush, are being worked on now, other projects such as recommended facilities improvements will be put into place over several years.

The original report contained recommendations for a minimum GPA of 2.30 for membership into a Greek house. It also recommended a revision of the social events monitoring system, increased internal adjudication systems and internal "action plans" in which houses would set down objectives to be met in the coming year. Failure to meet the plans could result in derecognition, according to the report.

Redman said that the College has goals that it wants houses to fulfill, but it also wants to allow houses to find their "own way" of doing it in order to preserve the individuality of the houses.

Redman added that it "would be terrible," if all of the houses were identical.

Houses should pick things that are important to them and answer the question "how are we going to Redman said.

All proposals must be approved by Larimore before they can go into effect.