Ashley smashes two in 4-1 win

Dartmouth defeated Fairfield University 4-1, yesterday for its third straight win. Laura Ashley '03 and Anne Peick '04 each scored two goals apiece.

The Big Green controlled the ball early in the game, keeping play in front of the Fairfield net. At 33:07 Peick redirected a pass from Jamie Lang '02 past Fairfield goalie senior Dana Comuniello and into the bottom left corner. It was her first goal of the season.

In the second half, Ashley knocked a header home from an Annie Gibson '03 cross past freshman goalie Jennifer Chapla who replaced an injured Comuniello at 50:06. A minute later, she scored again at 59:01 on an assist from Mary McVeigh '03 to give Dartmouth a 3-0 advantage.

Ashley also scored two goals against Columbia this past weekend. She now leads the team in scoring, with five goals this season and has been named the Ivy League Player of the Week for her efforts.

Senior Pamela Cluff would bring Fairfield within two on a penalty kick, but the goal was not enough as Peick closed out the scoring at 88:19 on a pass from Erin Osborn '05. It was Peick's second goal of the game.

Julia Shields '04 and Anne Marbarger '05 split the time in goal, each making a save. Comuniello made three saves before being replaced by Chapla who made six saves and suffers the loss for Fairfield.

The win improves the Big Green's record to 6-3-1, 2-1-1 Ivy and drops Fairfield to 12-4-0, 6-2-0 MAAC. The loss also snaps Fairfield's two-game winning streak.

Dartmouth returns to play on Saturday against Harvard in Cambridge. The Crimson are 8-2, 3-1 Ivy and will play UConn before taking on the Big Green this weekend. Harvard had its first and only Ivy loss of the season on Saturday in a heartbreaking overtime loss to Princeton.

Last year, Dartmouth defeated Harvard 2-0. But beyond Harvard, the Big Green will play UConn, and Cornell at Chase Field and will wrap up the season in Providence versus Brown who are currently 3-7-1, 0-3-1 Ivy.