Airport security skyrockets

In the wake of Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, there has been a government-imposed crackdown at the nation's airports. Here are some of the changes that have been implemented according to a speech by Federal Aviation Administrator Jane Garvey to Congress on Sept. 21.

Q Cutting instruments, including knives, scissors, and razor blades, plastic or otherwise, are banned from carry-on luggage.

Q Knives or other dangerous objects may no longer be sold or used in the "sterile" terminal areas -- those areas beyond the security checkpoints.

Q Vehicles near terminals are now monitored more closely, and unauthorized vehicles near the terminal area are removed.

Q Curbside check-in and all off-airport check-in locations, such as hotels, has been discontinued. All passengers with luggage must go to the ticket counter.

Q Passengers without checked-in luggage can check in at the gate, but are required to show boarding passes or e-ticket confirmation letters and photo identification to pass through security checkpoints.

Q Only ticketed passengers are allowed to proceed past airport screeners to board their flights.

Q All planes must undergo a thorough search and security check before passenger boarding can begin.

Q At all airports, increased numbers of uniformed and plainclothes security and law enforcement officers as well as FAA canine teams have been deployed to provide greater deterrence, surveillance, and response in the case of an emergency.

Q Airports have been ordered to increase random security checks and ID checks throughout their entire terminal areas.

Q Access points to secured areas of airports have been reduced to the operational minimum.

Q To reopen, airports and carriers had to prove that they had met stringent security measures imposed by the Federal Aviation Administration.