Greek leaders discuss future

At a meeting in Collis yesterday, leaders of the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council, the Greek sub-councils and the Office of Residential life met with the presidents of Greek houses to discuss the future of overarching governance of the system.

At the meeting the presidents were presented with a proposal for a new governing body ironed out during a retreat last weekend. The group came up with a plan for the "establishment of a Greek Leadership Council," which would replace the CFSC, according to Eric Powers, President of the Interfraternity Council.

The GLC would have every Greek house president as a voting member. In addition, the presidents of the sub-councils would be non-voting members. There would also be a non-voting moderator who would be elected from the Greek student body. The moderator's duties would include those of the former CFSC treasurer as well as grading the house's programming reports.

The GLC "represents a redistribution of power to people who are elected by peers," said Powers.

"The CFSC was a very top-heavy organization," said Ryan Mahoney '02, president of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

The Organizational Adjudication Committee will handle most disputes and violations formerly overseen by the Judiciary Committee. The Judiciary Committee will still exist for several specific circumstances, such as messy lawns and a lack of non-salty food at parties.

The GLC will serve mainly as a clearinghouse for problems affecting all Greek organizations and for communication within the system.

Overall, the presidents of the sub-councils who had attended the retreat were positive about the proposed changes.

"It's good that all the houses will be represented under one organization, said Tasha Francis '02, President of the Panhellenic Council. "It ensures that all the houses have a voice," she added.

Powers stated that there was a "tacit understanding that this new organization is a much better alternative to the old," since it could "deal with the issues that affect every organization in the Greek system."

Most of proposals were the fleshing-out of ideas discussed in the spring, according to Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity president Andrew Langworthy '02.

The council "wasn't a new idea," agreed Powers.

The council heads who spoke to The Dartmouth thought that the proposal will probably be approved by the house presidents.

Mahoney said that enactment was "very likely, I think people are very excited about it," although he added that there were still some details that needed to be worked out.

The proposed council is set to be voted upon by the presidents next Monday. Powers said that he hoped to "prove in this term that the new GLC can best represent Dartmouth's Greek system."