Women's tennis finds new coach

Kate Roiter, two-time captain of Harvard's Ivy title teams, has been appointed the next Dartmouth women's tennis coach.

Roiter has both competed and coached in the Ivy League. For Harvard, she played No. 1 singles and doubles, earning first team All-Ivy recognition in 1993, 1994 and 1996.

From 1996-99, she was the head junior varsity women's coach at Yale as well as the varsity assistant coach. She was also the acting head women's coach for the Bulldogs during the fall of 1998.

She has been coaching at Wellesley since 1999.

Roiter will replace Jen Callen who left after two years of coaching the Big Green to head the nationally recognized program at the University of North Carolina.

"I was quite shocked at Jen's leaving. She was a great component of our team and I know we'll all miss her tons," tennis team member Arden E. Fredeking '04 said. "However, I realize that the job offer at Chapel Hill is a dream job for her -- it's a top ten program -- and I'm very happy for her. I know she'll do great things for them."

Tennis, it seems, is in Roiter's blood.

She is currently ranked third nationally in the USTA national father-daughter category and the Roiter family was named USTA New England family of the year in 1996.

Roiter has directed tennis programs for adults and children across New England. In addition, she has worked as a teaching professional at the Yale and Harvard tennis camps.

The Big Green finished the 2001 season with a 2-5 Ivy mark, 7-12 overall.

Roiter is only the fourth women's tennis coach at Dartmouth. She follows Jan Strohbehn (1973), Chris Kerr (1974-99) and Callen (1999-2001).

"I know absolutely nothing about her and I'm anxious to meet her come preseason on Sept. 14," Fredeking said. "Although I'm anxious, I'm confident that the athletic department did their very best in picking our new coach. I'm sure that Kate will be great for us. If any team can handle such change, I know our team can. I'm excited to meet Kate and can't wait for the upcoming year!"