Dean Hemphill begins work

Becoming Dartmouth's first permanent full-time Advisor to African-American Students, Dawn Hemphill has just begun a job in which she intends to work closely with students to address the needs of African-Americans at the College.

Following a two-year vacancy at the position of Advisor to African-American Students, Hemphill took over from interim advisor Deimosa Webber-Bey. In the wake of the Student Life Initiative, the position is now full-time.

Yesterday, Hemphill, who will also serve as an assistant dean of student life, was just settling into her office on the second floor of Collis. Coming from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, Hemphill was also adjusting to the Dartmouth environment and the recent heat wave.

Despite the weather and all the hassles that come with a new job, however, Hemphill was cool and collected with the smooth R&B music of Maxwell playing in the background.

"I think my colleagues have been very welcoming and helpful, which has made the transition very smooth," said Hemphill. "It hasn't been hectic."

Hemphill views her advisory role as a unique link between the African-American student population and various areas and aspects of the College. She said she plans to create and maintain close contacts with Career Services, alumni, academic services and the Office of Admissions.

"Most of that piece will be working with students one-on-one to address the needs of African-American students," Hemphill said.

In her other position as assistant dean of student life, Hemphill will be consulting with other advisors and advocating programming events. She will also work closely with Dean of Student Life Holly Sateia.

Hemphill previously served two years as assistant director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs at Kenyon, where she revised the college's mentoring program to include stronger academic support and oversaw the publication of a multicultural newsletter. She also implemented a support group for women of color and facilitated campus-wide social and cultural programs.

Hemphill first became interested in multicultural affairs as an undergraduate resident advisor at Hiram College in Hiram, Ohio, where she obtained a bachelor's degree in psychology. She then went on to get her Masters of Education in counseling while continuing her role as a peer advisor.

It was around this time that she chose her current career path.

"I realized I had a passion for working with under-represented minorities in predominantly white institutions," Hemphill said.

Hemphill said she took the job at Dartmouth because she felt a good deal of support would be available to her as an advisor and the reputation of the College itself was attractive.

She said she currently does not have any immediate or specific goals, but wants to first become fully acquainted with her new surroundings.

"I need a time of assessment," she explained. "I don't want to run around changing things, because that is not always positive. It is easier to identify goals once you understand what the issues are."