Stults '02 graduates after 3 years with 4.0 GPA

History will be made today as Valedictorian Brian Stults '02 graduates with a perfect 4.0 grade point average, after only three years at Dartmouth.

With 28 As, nine citations and two theses under his belt, mathematical social sciences and quantitative political science double major Stults said he was "very pleased" at the honor, although he had suspected that he was eligible for the title for some time.

After much controversy surrounded whether or not Stults and salutatorian Terrence Wong '01 would speak, Dean of the College James Larimore decided that both would share the seven minute valedictory speech time slot.

"I'm excited to get the chance to speak about not only my time at Dartmouth, but also the collective experiences of all of us who are graduating," Stults, who is from Hermitage, Tennessee, said. "Our backgrounds are diverse, but there are a lot of commonalties that exist because we are all Dartmouth students."

Although some on campus protest the fact that a member of the Class of 2002 should make a speech at the Commencement ceremonies for the Class of 2001, Stults said he has received major support from many students and was very happy at Larimore's decision.

Stults said he had wanted to speak from the outset and while he understands the objections made, he thinks today's two speeches present an "excellent compromise" and will give a chance for everyone in the audience to be "represented by someone."

Initially, Stults said financial considerations encouraged him to try to finish his degree in three years. However, after his initial academic success and the likelihood of the valedictorian title, he was also motivated by the idea that "no one's done this [before]."

"Given how unlikely everything is, it's been fun, it's been challenging," Stults said.

"I haven't had an easy A that I would describe [as such]," he said, adding that his courses always demanded that he work for his good grades.

Stults has certainly shown the ability to handle a difficult schedule.

This Spring term alone, he completed six credits of coursework -- three for his two theses and three regular class credits. In total, Stults produced approximately 370 pages for his two theses.

Both pieces of work attempt to look at political questions from a mathematical perspective, and to question some of the assumptions people make while doing research.

In fact, this type of research interested him so much, Stults created his own major, quantitative political analysis, to study the issue, which combines pieces of economics, political science and statistics.

Stults revealed that some of the ingredients of his academic success were discipline, efficiency, extracurricular balance and control over his environment -- helped by his single room last term, making it possible to set his own hours.

Next year, Stults is planning to take some time off to take a break and assess what he wants to do with his life. He plans to attend graduate school at some point, but for now "a little time and perspective would be good."

Wong, who holds the highest GPA in the Class of 2001, will take the honor of Salutatorian today, with 32 As, two A-s and one grade which was uncertain as of press time on Thursday. His GPA is approximately 3.98.

A chemistry major and mathematics minor, Wong has received a total of eight citations in various chemistry, biology and computer science courses.

Although he was informed that he was a candidate for the valedictorian spot about a month ago, Wong said his reaction was one of disbelief.

"I really didn't take it too seriously," he said. "I didn't think I would be it -- [I thought] someone else must have had a higher GPA."

Although the salutatorian typically does not get an opportunity to speak, the unusual circumstances of this year's valedictorian will open up the spotlight to both Stults and Wong.

Although Wong said he was excited to speak today, he also thought that the controversy surrounding his speech was overblown.

"I don't think it's that big of a deal," he said. "I know that whoever speaks isn't as important as the message."

A native of Hindsdale, Illinois, Wong, like Stults, was salutatorian of his parochial high school.

Wong's favorite classes have been in the chemistry department.

"It's a great department, I think. I love all [the classes] basically," he said, adding that he could not think of a single Dartmouth class that he did not like.

Despite his impressive academic record, Wong said he thought the courses were demanding.

"I think the classes here are very challenging. I had to work hard to do well," Wong said. "People here are really smart." He added that despite his hard work, his own study habits should not be copied because he "[falls] asleep all the time"

Wong is not looking forward to leaving Dartmouth and will miss the people that he's met here most of all. "It's been a great [four] years. It went by very fast ... I'm not looking forward to [tomorrow] when we have to pack up and leave."

Wong will enter graduate school at the University of Chicago in the M.D.-Ph.D. program in September, where he will receive both an M.D. and a Ph.D. in approximately eight years.