Dartmouth track finishes mid-pack

As the end of the spring seasons draw near, Dartmouth's track teams headed once again to Princeton, N.J. to compete in their respective Championship meets. The men were part of the IC4A Championship while the women were concurrently participating in the ECAC Championship.

Both squads wrap up their team seasons on Saturday at the Northeastern Twilight Meet.

Women's Track

Led by a second place finish from Shaina Damm '02, the Dartmouth women's track team finished an impressive 16th out of 46 scoring teams in the ECAC Championship this past weekend.

The Big Green earned 21 team points compared to top finisher Georgetown's 87 points.

Damm took second in the heptathlon with 5,072 points on Saturday, giving her Dartmouth's best finish of the weekend.

The weekend was also a big one for the Big Green seniors.

Allison Cardlin '01 finished the shot put in fourth place with a distance of 47-10 1/2. Sarah Hayes '01 took fifth in the hammer throw with a toss of 174-6. Erin Dromgoole '01 added another fifth place in the 5,000 meters with a time of 16:35.42.

Laura Duncan '01 finished in a tie for 12th in the pole vault, clearing a height of 10'11.75.

In the field yesterday, Brooke Derham '02 was 18th in the javelin with a throw of 123-3. Kelly Murphy '02 finished 20th with a distance of 122-4.

Men's Track

The Dartmouth men's track team took 32nd place out of 48 teams that scored at the IC4A Championship, also held at Princeton University this weekend.

The Big Green finished with 7 points in the championship, while first place Georgetown racked up 77 points.

Dartmouth's best performance came from Sean Furey '04, who broke his own school record in the javelin with a throw of 206-4, earning him seventh place.

Tom McArdle '03 continued his winning ways in the 5,000 meters, taking sixth place in a time of 14:02.97, a personal record.

"I was disappointed with not breaking the 14:00 barrier as that was my first objective to accomplish in the race," McArdle said. "However, one cannot complain too much about running a personal best, even if only by one second over the span of a 5K. I think it will set me up well to run a good 10K at the NCAAs in a week and a half."

Elsewhere in the field, Marc Hermer '02 finished seventh in the shot put with a mark of 53-8 1/4. Hermer added a 15th place in the discus with a throw of 151-10.

Taylor Smith '02 finished 14th in the long jump with a leap of 23'04.75.