Zete charges delayed further

The Office of Residential Life's much anticipated verdict on the investigation into newsletters published by Zeta Psi fraternity has been repeatedly delayed following a higher-than-expected number of students who came forward to give testimony, according to people involved in the case.

The decision was originally set for last week and then got pushed back to this Monday.

After that, it was planned for today, but was most recently pushed back to either the end of this week or early next week.

"We had to delay because once the story broke more people wanted to talk," Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said, adding that "You don't rush through any adjudication process without giving some thought to what the arguments are, pro and con."

Part of the delay, Redman said, is due to the unusually complicated nature of the case. "We're still trying to ascertain what the organization gets charged with," he explained.

Redman would not comment on the possible grounds for punishing Zeta Psi, nor would he say how likely derecognition or any other form of punishment is.

But Redman did offer that "it's safe enough to say" that at least some charges will be filed against the 48-member fraternity.

"The raft of sanctions still exist," Redman said.

Citing his unwillingness to compromise the investigation, Redman would not say whether he would characterize Zeta Psi's newsletters as offensive or misogynistic, as many on campus have. But, he added, "I think it would be very hard to characterize them as respectful."