Students debate social class

In a classroom in the depths of Hanover High School a group of 15 Dartmouth and high school students met last night to discuss the problem of socioeconomic class in America.

This discussion was one of many that have been held by Spectrum, a group organized last year to give students of all ages a forum for discussion of issues important on a global and local level.

This week's topic ranged from the stigma attached to receiving welfare, to the issue of classicism, to the problem of affordable housing in the Upper Valley. While the conversation brought up many good points, it focused on general education rather than solution of problems.

Ariel Brewster, a senior at Hanover High and the co-chair of Spectrum, sparked the two hour-long discussion by reading a recent editorial entitled "Hanover For The Few" written for The Dartmouth by Randy Stebbins '01.

The article raised the issue, and the majority of people in the room agreed, that "Hanover is not a community" because "there is no commonality of interests" among its citizens.

"This article helped articulate why I felt awful," said Brewster, about classist remarks made by her friends.

"I'm constantly having to defend Hanover kids, I say 'yes, sometimes they are snotty but it's not because they are bad people, they just don't realize,'" commented Brewster.

Kenny Reyes '00, who said he grew up in a poor family, commented that prejudice against socioeconomic class is present within the Dartmouth community.

"I've had people say to me, 'the only reason you got in was because you're Puerto Rican,' and I say, 'How dare you?,'" commented Reyes.

Andrea Glover '01 and Reyes also mentioned that being at Dartmouth changes speech patterns and attitudes of people from a lower social class.

"I feel like I kind of became snotty when I came to Dartmouth ... and I don't ever want to have those feelings again," said Glover.

"I'm not the same person that I was four years ago ... it's really hard, but I don't think I'm trying to be white." says Reyes.

He also added, "when people talk about class issues, especially upper-class people, they get really uncomfortable."

Emily Jerome, a senior at Hanover High, made the point that "classicism goes both ways."

"Money forms gaps between people, it's not something we can talk about," Jerome said. Nevertheless, the people at Spectrum do attempt to tackle difficult issues and often find the effort a rewarding experience.

"This is the high point of my week" said Carrie Speck, a junior at Hanover High.

Spectrum meets weekly, when Hanover High and Dartmouth schedules coincide. Elizabeth Sumida '98 founded the group last year while working as an Americorp volunteer.

Other topics primarily discussed by Spectrum include the assimilation of race and homosexuality into our society. The Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance has come to speak to Spectrum twice this year.

As this school year draws to a close, four new Hanover High School students are training to continue the program for next year.