ORL considers Psi U appeal

Psi Upsilon fraternity's appeal for a reduction in sanctions levied following a February incident in which members of the house allegedly shouted racist and misogynistic remarks at a female passerby will be decided upon within a week.

Meanwhile, the Student Assembly tonight will likely take up debate of a proposed resolution condemning the penalty imposed by the College and asking that the decision be reconsidered.

Psi U officers were notified two weeks ago that the house was being placed on two terms of social probation -- during which alcohol will be banned from parties and all public spaces in the Psi U physical plant. Other penalties were primarily related to programming issues.

According to Psi U President Mike Holick '02, the house based their appeal on a request for clemency. Appeals of disciplinary decisions can also be made based on new information pertaining to the case or alleged procedural errors.

A decision will be released late this week or early next week, according to Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, who is currently reviewing the fraternity's written appeal.

Redman declined to discuss the likelihood of a reduction in the sanctions, but did say, "There's nothing that they included in this particular argument that they didn't include in the hearing."

Since their announcement, the sanctions imposed by the Redman's office have been criticized by several Greek leaders -- including both the president and vice president of the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council -- as being incommensurate with the incident for which they were imposed.

That objection will likely be raised in the Student Assembly tonight. A proposed resolution -- sponsored by Emmett Hogan '01 and Alex Wilson '01 -- notes that the social component of the sanctions was not recommended by the CFSC Judicial Committee but was later added after it was submitted to ORL.

The proposed resolution criticizes what Hogan said was Redman's intention to "send a message" by imposing stiff sanctions. It also claims the manner in which the fraternity and offending members dealt with the incident received insufficient consideration as a mitigating circumstance, he said.

Hogan said, however, the resolution "in no way" condones the behavior of the Psi U brothers, and, in fact, specifically repudiates their actions.

"There's a larger issue here, and that's the College's treatment of its students and its adherence to its own regulations," Hogan said.

Asked about what he expects at tonight's meeting, Hogan said, "I've worked with SA members. I have enough faith in them to see the issue at hand and to address it without an excess of emotion.

Hogan said he expects passage of the resolution. "Since I think the case is so evident, I don't think there'll be enough opposition to reject the resolution."

Assembly President Jorge Miranda '01 declined to speculate on the resolution's chances for passage, but said he expects there to be "lively debate ... I think this campus has varying opinions on the whole incident, and I'm sure the Student Assembly will reflect that."

Whether it is passed or rejected, Miranda said he hopes the Assembly's action -- "as with all resolutions" -- will make an impact on Redman's final decision.

The disciplinary action in question is the result of an incident that took place around 9 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 16. A female student reported that fraternity members on the Psi U lawn were chanting: "Wah-hoo-wah, scalp 'em, scalp 'em," and "Wah-hoo-wah, scalp those bitches" as she approached Thayer Dining Hall

After a hearing in early March, the Judicial Committee found Psi U guilty of violating Standards of Conduct relating to harassment and College standards of behavior and leadership.