Men express less offense at Zete sex papers than their female counterparts

While women on campus appear overwhelmingly outraged by the recent release of the Zeta Psi 'sex papers,' the male members of the community who spoke to The Dartmouth seemed less offended -- their comments focused more on the written nature of the material, the potential consequences for the Greek system and negative attitudes toward woman as a larger social problem.

As opposed to men who often described their reaction to the newsletter as disappointed or surprised, women described their response as outraged and shocked.

Many male students expressed surprise that Zeta Psi put into print what they characterized as topics men often discuss when they get together in groups.

"If it was just within their house, I don't see any problem with that ... I think they have the right to do or say what they think within their own house. I guess I would do a little better job of keeping it out of other people's hands," said Kyle Larson '01, who is affiliated.

"This kind of thing happens, whether it be written down or whether it not be written down ... Zeta Psi is getting penalized ... for simply writing it down," said Eric Bielke '01, characterizing such behavior as a "derogatory view towards women" that is a cultural problem. He added, "I wouldn't suggest that Zete is better or worse than any other institution."

"I am sure stuff like that is said at every frat but Zete was stupid enough to put it down. I guess they have to be punished," Pedro Hernandez '04 said.

Many men pointed out that within the current campus climate, one in which students are particularly sensitive to actions taken by Greek houses and their members, Zeta Psi's sexually-explicit newsletters will draw particular scrutiny.

"In part, I would think that given the climate of the campus over the last couple of years, people would know not to do such things," Rob Hallenbeck '01, an unaffiliated student.

"I am fairly certain that [the newsletter] was all in jest. They have a right to publish what they want but they do so at their own risk and in light of the campus environment, it was probably stupid of them to publish it," said Chris Hummel '01, an affiliated student.

Other men felt that this latest controversy will reflect poorly on the Greek system as a whole, feeling that instead of being a Greek problem, Zeta Psi's publication reflects a larger issue in society as a whole.

"I don't think this is a problem only within the Greek system or at Dartmouth, but a societal problem as far as disrespect for women," said David Schaffer '02, who is a member of a Greek organization.

"I think the negative spotlight that will shine on Dartmouth and the Greek system as a whole is unjust," Schaffer added.

"I don't think that this necessarily reflects any wider problem in the Greek system. Certainly women talk about men at sororities," said Hummel.

A few males, most of whom are unaffiliated, took a more critical stance toward Zeta Psi and emphasized that those judging the case should do so harshly.

Bill Jaeger '02 said he was very disappointed and surprised at the "extremely crude nature" of the articles. Jaeger, who is unaffiliated, said "It is not just two guys acting in poor taste. It is an institutional practice of using humor about women to poke fun at brothers. In this case it is an entire institution that needs to be held accountable."

"Dartmouth has the responsibility to create an environment where everyone can feel comfortable and can thrive," Jaeger concluded.

"Appalled," was the reaction of Jim Noonan '01, who is also not affiliated. Supporting derecognition of Zeta Psi, he said, "I don't want to morally and financially support an institution that supports this kind of behavior."

Although they were in the minority among students who spoke to The Dartmouth, some male students did express concern that Zeta Psi's actions speak to a more rampant problem within the Greek system.

"I don't think this is an isolated incident. It is a systemic problem," said Garth Sullivan '02. Sullivan characterized the Greek system as an "archaic" one in need of major change.

"It is a larger institutional problem. It is a physical manifestation of what happens verbally all the time," Noonan agreed.

All of the students seemed to agree that Zete's publication has generated a lot of discussion on campus. One affiliated student who wished to remain unnamed stressed that his house and others are reexamining their own traditions and talking about "cleaning up their own act" in reaction to the sex papers.