COS releases annual statistics

Three students were expelled from the College over the past year, 14 were suspended, 72 received college discipline, and a little less than 300 others received official reprimands or warnings.

The findings come from the Annual Report to the Community of the Dartmouth Undergraduate Disciplinary System and the Committee on Standards, which was released recently.

A total of 513 disciplinary cases were heard before the COS this academic year, 103 of which were suspension-level cases, and 410 of which were cases of minor misconduct. These numbers include cases in which allegations were subsequently withdrawn.

Of those found responsible, although 76 of the suspension-level cases were for violations of the Academic Honor Principle, that number was greatly bolstered by the 63 students involved in last winter's Computer Science 4 cheating scandal hearings, in which allegations were later withdrawn.

After 34 hours of hearings on the CS4 events and a review of over 500 pages of evidence regarding the allegations, the Committee concluded that, while some cheating had indeed occurred, the nature of the evidence made it impossible to distinguish between cheaters and non-cheaters.

The Committee also found the faculty-student relations of the class to be adversarial and noted that support and assistance from faculty and teaching assistants had been inadequate.

As a consequence, the COS unanimously recommended to the Dean of the College that the charges be dropped, which they subsequently were.

Other violations of the Academic Honor Principle this year included plagiarism, lack of source citations and the copying of past or current students' work.

The Committee also heard several cases of serious non-academic misconduct.

The issue of consent played a central role in each of the four cases of alleged sexual abuse, two of which were further complicated by the consumption of alcohol.

The Committee heard five cases of physical assault, and several others for lesser altercations or threats of physical harm.

The findings of the Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity incident also figured prominently in the report.

The case involved four members of a Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, who, while intoxicated, broke into Chi Gam. One student lit a curtain soaked in flammable fluid and left it on a table, starting a blaze. Two students stole a small refrigerator on their way out.

One student was separated from the College, one received two terms of probation, and the remaining two incurred college discipline. The sanctions varied due to individual differences in students' behavior and because of differences in past conduct records.

Four students were referred to suspension-level hearings for repeated intoxication violations. All four received multiple terms of college discipline.

Five students were arrested for a DUI or DWI this year, three of whom were suspended and two of whom were placed on college discipline.

There were 285 "minor misconduct" cases heard by the College's class dean involving violation of the Alcohol and Other Drugs policy. Of the cases heard, 186 were students found responsible for public intoxication, 69 students were found responsible for underage possession of alcohol, 16 students were found responsible for the possession of other drugs, and five for serving alcohol to minors.