Administrators disappointed by Zete 'sex papers'

Both College President James Wright and Dean of the College James Larimore said they were very disappointed in Zeta Psi fraternity's publication of weekly "sex papers" and sources close to the investigation say derecognition remains a possible conclusion to the controversy.

"I was offended and I am outraged that such a thing happened," Wright said.

"Personally I was really shocked to see the material that allegedly has been produced and distributed ... I find it to be very troubling," Larimore stated.

As the campus expressed shock and disapproval in the wake of the allegations, both the Office of Residential Life and the student Judicial Committee continue to investigate the matter.

Speaking about the investigation, Zeta Psi President Gene Boyle '02 said, "I'm eager to work with [Acting Assistant Dean of Residential Life] Cassie [Barnhardt]. I hope the outcome is fair and just."

"Significant sanctions are possible, including derecognition," Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said about the outcome of the investigation.

Chair of the JC Lauren Lafaro echoed Redman's sentiment.

"I think that the offense is egregious enough that some very serious sanctions will be considered," she stated.

Because the investigation is still in progress, both Redman and Lafaro declined to comment on either the specific standards of conduct Zete may have violated or the types of charges that might be brought against the house.

"Its difficult to say because ... we want to make sure we have all pertinent information before we send a letter detailing charges," Lafaro explained.

Without citing specific charges, however, Wright said he felt that the publishers of the "sex papers" violated "the sense of trust and mutual respect and security that has to be part of [the Dartmouth Community]."

According to Acting Assistant Dean of Residential Life Cassie Barnhardt, the administration received word of the allegations last week, at which point they promptly began the investigation.

According to Lafaro the investigation may continue for anywhere from one to five days.

After completion, the Judicial Committee and ORL will collaboratively issue a letter to the chapter, detailing the standards of conduct which it has been accused of violating.

Then the house will have the opportunity to decide whether they will proceed into mediation or a full Committee hearing, and, in either case, the proceedings will commence seven days later.

Because the Committee is meant to work as an advisory board, their final decision may or may not perfectly match that of the Dean of Residential Life.

"Occasionally, when ORL reviews our recommendations they either add to them or change them in some way," Lafaro explained.

The recent adjudication of Psi Upsilon fraternity for the alleged shouting of racist and sexist comments from their property last term was characterized by just such a discrepancy. ORL added two terms of full social probation to the original programming sanctions which the Judicial Committee recommended be brought against the house.

Although the final outcome in the Zeta Psi investigation is unclear, their fate as a recognized Greek organization may rest upon which of the two levels of hearing the Committee and ORL decide to impose.

According to the College Minimum Standards pamphlet, in the case of a second level hearing, "the likely penalty for an alleged offense may be greater than probation."

Barnhardt, however, declined to comment on the level that may be chosen in this case.

No matter what the final resolution of the case, Larimore pointed out that the issues raised by the allegations transcend the adjudication process itself.

"What we're really looking at is much broader set of societal issues that have a very big impact on the lives of men and women in this country," he said.

The incident was made public during a week in which the College is hosting over 400 prospective students as part of an admissions recruiting program.

"I would be very disappointed if some person thought this represented the attitude, the conduct or the values of this community," Wright said.