Trespasser arrested in dorm

A 21-year-old Warren, N.H. man was arrested for criminal trespassing in Russell Sage residence hall Wednesday night after being spotted by a Safety and Security officer at approximately 11 p.m.

Upon recognizing John Howe, the Safety and Security officer contacted Hanover Police, who then arrived and took him into custody.

Howe's presence on campus was in direct violation of a no trespassing letter issued by Safety and Security on Feb. 4 of this year.

Tight-lipped officials have not revealed the specifics of that letter, or many other details, including the exact sequence of events that lead to the arrest.

However, Russell Sage UGA Michael Acovio '02, who was asked to keep specifics confidential, did confirm that "no violence" was involved in the incident.

Acovio said he returned home late last night to find his floormates abuzz with excitement. They then told him what they saw, and he said he spent most of yesterday "trying to find out what happened."

Acovio said that within the residence hall, although rumors are flying, few concrete details have been clarified.

A Hanover police investigation is currently underway surrounding the event.

Released on $500 and personal recognizance, Howe is scheduled to appear in court in May. He will not be arraigned on any charges other than those resulting from this incident, Hanover Police Chief Nick Giacconne told The Dartmouth.

Giacconne would not comment on whether Howe is suspected of a connection to the recent shower intrusions, which occurred in mid-January and mid-February, each involving a man walking in on a female student showering in Smith and Topliff, respectively.