Pruett '01 flirts with 1,000 mark

Parker Pruett '01 ran the third fastest time ever by a Dartmouth runner in the 1,000 meters in the Saturday trials of the IC4A men's championship at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston and went on to take sixth place overall in the final round on Sunday.

Pruett's time of 2:24.39 eclipsed the previous third place time of 2:24.41 set by Pruett's former teammate Garret Jensen '99 two years ago, and gave him a second place finish in the trials. Pruett finished in a time of 2:26.47 in the final round.

"Things went very well this weekend," Pruett said. "I had hoped to break the school record of 2:22.35 this past weekend. In the trials I was only concerned with time, so I took the lead early on and tried to set a fast pace. I settled in and slowed on the second lap and ran two seconds slower than I had wanted to."

Pruett temporarily captured fourth place on the all-time list two years ago, but Jensen bumped him down a spot only a month later.

"This weekend was my last opportunity to one-up him and I did so by the narrowest of margins," Pruett said. "On the whole I am pretty fired up about my third place on the all-time list. I hope it is a preview of things to come this spring."

In the triple jump, Joe Marucheck '04 took ninth place with a leap of 47-10, his best distance this season.

Meanwhile, at the ECAC Women's Track and Field Championship held concurrently with the IC4A's, Cecily Garber '03 finished fourth in the finals of the 800 meters in a time of 2:10.20, giving her the top finish of any Dartmouth runner this weekend. Garber posted a time of 2:12.34 in the trials to earn a spot in the finals.

Erin Dromgoole '01 took sixth in the 3,000 meters with a time of 9:41.06.

In the field, Allison Cardlin '01 was sixth in the shot put with a distance of 45-10 1/2.