Northeastern smashes Boston College 8-1

With their two wins last weekend, the Big Green captured the women's ECAC regular season title they have been searching for all year. The rest of the league battled it out for the remaining seven playoff spots. Here's the rundown of the weekend's action.

Maine 3, Brown 2

Dawn Froats recorded 34 saves, including 20 in the final frame, to lead the University of Maine women's ice hockey team to a 3-2 victory over Brown University on Sunday. Karen Droog scored the game-winner for Maine, her 22nd goal of the season, just 21 seconds into the third period to give Maine the win.

Maine was eliminated from the playoffs by its loss to Harvard on Saturday. Brown will face Northeastern in the ECAC quarterfinals.

Cornell 4, Yale 2

Cornell defeated Yale 4-2, led by the senior duo of Erica Olson and Patricia Kemp who combined for six points. Cornell skated to a 2-0 before sophomore Lindsay Murao tallied the third Cornell goal at :31 of the second. Deanna McDevitt tallied twice for Yale, at 19:40 of the second and 3:17 of the third for Yale.

Neither Cornell nor Yale will be playing in the ECAC playoffs this year, with Cornell finishing the season with a 7-16-1 mark in the ECAC, and Yale with a 2-21-1 mark.

Providence 4, Boston College 1

Boston College dropped its final game of the season to Providence, 4-1. The Eagles finish the season in 13th place in the ECAC, while Providence stands at seventh and is matched up with Harvard in the playoffs.

At 7:44 of the third period, Providence's Darlene Stephenson scored what would prove to be the winning goal, and the Friars went on to score two more unanswered goals to make the final score 4-1.

Northeastern 8, Boston College 1

On Saturday Boston College was handily defeated by cross-town rival No. 8 Northeastern. The Huskies jumped out to an early lead, as Betsy Dyke scored at 3:24 of the first period. Netting the Huskies' second goal of the day, which proved to be the game winner, Sara Mahoney scored at 9:30 of the second period.

At 12:18 of the second period, Renee Taylor scored to finally put the Eagles on the board. However, Michelle Lorion scored at 10:34 and again at 11:24 of the third period to give the Huskies a 6-1 lead. At 14:18 in the third, Socha netted the Huskies seventh goal. Socha scored again with four minutes left in the second.

Princeton 5, Cornell 2

Depleted by injuries, the Big Red lost its sixth straight game, falling 5-2 to Princeton. Cornell got on the board first when Anita Khar lit the lamp at 15:35 of the first for a 1-0 lead.

Princeton then went on to score five unanswered goals, with junior center Andrea Kilbourne contributing two goals.

Harvard 8, Maine 2

Harvard scored five third period goals to defeat the Black Bears 8-2 on Saturday. With the loss, Maine was eliminated from the ECAC playoffs.

Jennifer Botterill opened the scoring for Harvard at 8:27 with her 36th goal of the season. Lauren McAuliffe gave the Crimson a 2-0 lead just 33 seconds later, and Tammy Shewchuk made it 3-0 heading into the first intermission.

Harvard's Shewchuk scored her second of the game and Kiirsten Suurkask made it 5-1 just 1:33 later.

Tracy Catlin added to the Crimson lead at 5:48, and Botterill put Harvard up 7-1. Maine answered just 30 seconds later when Karen Droog scored to make it a 7-2 score, but Pam Van Reessema closed out the scoring at 16:03 for her third goal of the season, and the final tally of the game.

Second place Harvard will take on Providence this weekend in a first round playoff match-up.

St. Lawrence 4, Yale 0

Caryn Ungewitter made 13 saves to post her first shutout of the season and four different players scored goals as the Saints skated to a 4-0 win over the Yale Bulldogs.

After a scoreless first period, St. Lawrence's Suzanne Fiacco broke the scoreless tie at the 7:45 mark of the second period, scoring the only goal of the second stanza.

St. Lawrence put the game away in the third period, scoring three goals in the last 8:13 of the game.

The Saints host the Wildcats of UNH on Saturday in a No. 3 vs. No. 6 series.