European disease threatens US livestock

Recent outbreaks of hoof-and-mouth diseases in Europe and the threat of mad cow disease at a sheep farm in Vermont have New Hampshire worrying about the spread of such afflictions within its state borders.

Last week, 234 sheep were removed from the Freeman Farm in Greensboro, Vermont and taken to Iowa for quarantine by the United States Department of Agriculture. While federal agents were not positive the Freeman Farm sheep were carrying mad cow disease, officially known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, four members of the flock showed symptoms of BSE.

"USDA has no choice but to take this decisive action based on the threat the sheep pose to the health of America's livestock nationwide," USDA Administrator Craig Reed told The Associated Press.

According to USDA Veterinarian Dr. Linda Detwiler, the removal of the sheep should eliminate the threat of a mad cow disease outbreak.

The flock is a specialty Belgian breed known as East Friesans, which are valued for their rich milk used in producing gourmet cheeses. Because they were imported, the animals could have contracted BSE while abroad. Their owners Larry and Linda Faillace unsuccessfully attempted to protest the seizure in court.

However, an outbreak of hoof-and-mouth disease could put much of New Hampshire's large domestic animal and wildlife populations in jeopardy, including sheep, cattle, swine and deer.

An break out of the disease has crippled herds of cattle in Great Britain, France and the Netherlands. Though not affected by the highly contagious, airborne virus, humans can be carriers.

"We know of people who have been traveling in England and come back to airports and have just been waved through. Who knows they aren't carrying something?" New Hampshire Agriculture Commissioner Steve Taylor told The Union Leader.

Americans traveling to the infected countries are being asked by the USDA to avoid agricultural areas so as not to inadvertently become carriers. Additionally, screening and security clearance procedures are being reviewed at airports across the country that accept overseas flights. Even imported farm machinery is being considered for quarantine.

In New Hampshire, many farms always take precautions against the threat of outbreaks.

"We just have to be very careful with visitors coming to the farm, as well as the vets coming in and salesmen. We ask that they clean and disinfect their boots before they come in," said Karen Tuller, one of the owners of the Tullando Farm which has 240 cattle onsite.

"We don't buy animals in, we just have our own animals. That's another precaution we take," continued Tuller. "We understand they don't have a vaccine now, since there's so many different strains."

Tuller said they are worried about hoof-and-mouth disease because it has spread to multiple countries in Europe so quickly, and their farm receives many visitors from overseas.

The horses at Dartmouth's Morton Farm do not appear to be in any danger.

"I have not been warned by our vets that we need to worry about [hoof-and-mouth disease] said Sally Boillotat, director of riding.

Hoof-and-mouth disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, such as cattle and sheep, and even llamas and alpacas. The illness causes the lips, gums, tongues and flesh adjacent to the hooves to blister and break open. Left unable to eat, drink or walk, the animals debilitated by the disease will die.