Parker delays extradition

James Parker and his attorney opted to push back his return to New Hampshire during his extradition hearing, which was held today at the courthouse at 3:30 p.m., according to Henry County Detective Edward Manning.

A follow up hearing is scheduled for noon on Feb. 27.

"I wouldn't say it's fighting extradition," Manning said. "But they weren't prepared to make a decision today."

During the week before the next hearing, both sides -- the state and Parker's lawyers -- will have time to file paper work "that lawyers have to file to get the ball rolling," Manning explained.

Potentially, Parker could fight extradition and remain in Indiana for weeks or months, or he could still choose to waive his right to extradition at the hearing next week and return to New Hampshire.

If Parker decides next week not to take the same route as Tulloch and waive his extradition rights, he would be retained in Indiana without bail until the governors of the two states sign the appropriate paperwork that would bring him back to the state where the murder occurred.

Earlier today, Parker's alleged accomplice, Robert Tulloch, waived his right to extradition, Manning told the Dartmouth at about noon.

Tulloch will be returned to New Hampshire sometime tomorrow, in the custody of New Hampshire authorities, according to a press release from the N.H. Attorney General's office.

During both hearings, the suspects were in shackles and surrounded by multiple police officers.

"That's normal procedure," Manning explained. "We always do that when charged with that type of crime."

In a brief news conference held before Tulloch's hearing at 11:15 a.m., Henry County Sheriff Kim Cronk explained that during the extradition hearings, the suspects would be informed of their right to waive or to refuse to waive their extradition rights. He also said some evidence about the two murders of Half and Susanne Zantop would be set forward.

Finally, he said that some documentation would be presented, proving that Tulloch and Parker were the same suspects who were wanted by New Hampshire authorities.

At Tulloch's hearing, a local Indiana attorney, Edward Dunsmore, was present, but his other Vermont-based lawyer, has only communicated with him via telephone. Parker's Indiana lawyer was also his only counsel at his afternoon hearing.

Manning said both sets of parents visited their sons late last night, and in addition, Michael Tulloch visited his son before his extradition hearing this morning. Parker's parents did not visit him today and were not at the courthouse during the hearing.

Manning said as far as he knows, the two sets of parents have not had contact with one another.

During the pre-hearing news conference, Cronk said there is extra security at the prison to guard the two boys, who are not allowed to have contact with one another.

Manning said even after the two suspects are extradited, the Indiana police force will continue cooperating with New Hampshire officials, providing any information is needed.

According to a press release from the Henry Superior Court, an extradition is the "official surrender of an alleged criminal by one state to another having jurisdiction over the crime charged."