Homelessness afflicts region

(Editor's note: This is the first article in a three part series on homelessness in the Upper Valley.)

Despite being somewhat hidden, homelessness in the Upper Valley does exist -- and advocates for the homeless say this group is still encountering prejudice and apathy from those who they believe should be helping or are at least aware of the problem -- students and an increasingly affluent middle class.

Homelessness has especially grown within most students' lifetimes, according to Jennifer Rottmann '02, co-chair of Dartmouth's section of Habitat for Humanity. She said she believes students have a responsibility to do something about it.

"Students have a role as social activists," she said. "They have the freedom to think about how the world should be."

Rottman, who is also organizing a "Faces of Homelessness" panel, explained that she sees the big problem as awareness. "Because we don't see homeless people on Main Street, we tend to believe they don't exist," she added.

This ignorance can lead to stereotypes, according to Bob Olcott, a member of the board of directors of the New Hampshire Coalition to End Homelessness.

"One of the things that sometimes happens in discussions is we look at personal causes rather than systemic causes," he said.

"A lot of myths aren't true," said Rottman of such prejudices. "It's not a phenomenon of drugs, mental illness, or single men," but instead largely working families who can't pay the rent.

Olcott says the stigma of being homeless is especially strong in this country, adding that he sees more civic-mindedness in countries with less emphasis on individuals.

Stigma and misunderstanding often misguide policy efforts on homelessness and result in the arrest of homeless people for loitering, sleeping in public parks,or urinating in public, according to Rottman.

In fact, most homelessness comes down to something which especially a problem in New Hampshire -- housing costs. As DeWitt Mallary, President of Upper Valley Habitat for Humanity explains, "the real crisis around here is the lack of affordable housing,"

Statistics agree. According to the National Low Income Housing Coalition, "in New Hampshire, Fair Market Rent for a two-bedroom unit is $736. An extremely low income household (earning 30 percent of the AMI of $55,025) can afford monthly rent of no more than $413."

"A minimum wage earner can afford no more than $268," the NLIHC published in its September 2000 nation wide "Out Of Reach" study. "Fair market rent for a one-bedroom unit is $578," more than twice as much as a very low wage worker could afford.

Olcott says that government willpower is necessary to address such social problems. He gave examples of governments that had attacked the problem successfully in Canada and Finland.

Legislation now under consideration in New Hampshire Legislature, House Bill 658, will provide matching public funds for private donations to homeless organizations like shelters. Olcott says this will help to counteract traditional catalysts for homelessness like rent increases, medical bills and car repair costs.

Explaining why students do not focus on these issues, Rottman said one aspect of Dartmouth culture is to focus inward and "not see outside the community."

"The Student Life Initiative focused a lot of energy on what happens on campus," she said in example.

These types of make students lose focus. "People are busy, terms go quickly. It's very difficult to build momentum with people coming and going."

But can there be an end to homelessness? According to Rottmann, yes. "I think one is possible. I hope we're moving in that direction," she said.