Committee unfazed by Testa resignation

The Greek Life Steering Committee continues to work toward the release of a definitive report regarding possible ways to modify the Greek system at the end of this term, despite the resignation of committee member Professor of Education Randy Testa.

Formed with the charge of drawing up a final set of recommendations regarding the Greek system, the committee serves as the latest of what have been a series of groups involved in the implementation of the Initiative.

Committee member Shihwan Chung '02 said the committee has listed six guiding principles after extensive discussion and meetings last term and will continue to work with these principles in the coming weeks as they prepare their reports.

According to these six principles,the Greek system should promote scholarship, leadership development, service and philanthrophy, accountability, brotherhood and sisterhood and diversity and inclusivity.

Recently, the whole committee split into six groups, each of which will prepare a report explaining how the Greek system can better achieve one of the listed principles.

Each of these reports should be completed within the next week or two, according to Chung.

The Committee hopes to release a compilation of all six reports by the end of winter term, he said.

No committee members who spoke with The Dartmouth said that the resignation of Education Professor Randy Testa had significantly affected the committee's plans or schedule.

While Assistant Dean of Residential Life Cassie Barnhardt said that the report currently being prepared might have looked different had Testa remained on the committee, she said that the committee's flexibility has been one of its principal strengths.

Committee members M. Ryan Clark '01 and Ericka Gray of the Department of Residential Life also said that Testa's resignation had not affected the committee's progress in preparing the reports.