Attorney General says arrest still not imminent

Although the team investigating the double murder of Susanne and Half Zantop continues following up leads, an arrest is still not imminent today, according to Senior Assistant Attorney General Kelly Ayotte.

In a news conference held today, she said the investigation would continue at full force throughout the weekend and will be reassessed on a daily basis.

"We are in no way short of leads," Ayotte said, emphasizing that the investigation has not reached a dead end.

"We don't feel that we're running out of time," she said, using the words "systematically" and "methodically" again and again to describe the investigative process.

Ayotte continued to refuse comment on whether the crime was committed by one or more than one person, any motive that may have led to the murder or whether the police have a suspect in mind.

She said at this point, investigators did not suspect that the murderer had fled the country.

She said if the investigative team of about 35 did, in fact, have a suspect in mind, that information would most likely not be made public.

However, State Attorney General Philip McLaughlin said earlier this week that if and when an arrest is made, that information will be made public immediately.

Ayotte confirmed reports that a white sedan was impounded from the Manchester Airport Thrifty Car Rental agency, but she added that a number of vehicles are being examined.

She would not comment on whether the rumors that a "middle-aged man" from Arizona had rented the car or was related to the Zantop murder, as reported by WNDS-TV in Derry, N.H.

She also said a bloody T-shirt found at a gas station in Lebanon was not related to the homicides.

She had no comment on a report that tools were stolen from a construction site in the area.

Ayotte said the crime scene remains closed -- since investigators might need to return to the residence to follow up on clues that materialize.

Ayotte declined comment on reports that the bodies were mutilated or that there were signs of a struggle.

She reiterated what State Attorney General Philip McLaughlin stated yesterday -- that though the police have not yet taken anyone into custody -- the murderer should not feel like he or she is off the hook.

Ayotte said she met with College President James Wright this morning to apprise him of the investigation's progress. She said he continues to give his full cooperation to the police.

At this point, the FBI is not involved, but the bureau might be involved in the future if more resources are required, she said.