Colleges go the green route

In light of a trend of recent construction projects across college campuses, there has been considerable pressure for future buildings at Dartmouth to be what many have termed "eco-friendly."

"Basically any new construction will be continuing to meet a higher standard of building," Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman said.

"The central concept is all about the use of natural resources in a friendly way to the environment," Redman said. "We recognize that there is a new unofficial national standard to be met with any new projects."

"Eco-friendly" may be an ambiguous term, however, as it is used very loosely Redman said. Sometimes, he added, the line between a totally "green" building and an energy efficient building may be blurred.

"We are looking to build a high performance-oriented building, but we have to recognize that there may be restraints," Redman said. "A totally 'green' building, for example, would require recycling human waste. We are not at a point to tackle something like that yet."

Instead, Redman says, the focus will be on energy efficiency and environmentally sound construction materials than on creating a purely "green" building.

He refers to McCulloch Hall, the College's newest building, as an example of the higher environmental standard that will be met consistently in the future. McCulloch Hall has many features that are eco-conscious, if not eco-friendly, such as only certified lumber (for each tree cut down, a new one was planted), public spaces with lights on motion switches, and a baseboard heating-cooling system that takes advantage of natural convection currents.

Redman also referred to other possible improvements that are outlined in the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) document, whose standards the College has adopted in its planned construction projects. Such improvements include using recycled construction materials and furnishings, improved insulation, water conservation methods and more comfort oriented heating systems.

The College has several projects on the way with which to employ these new standards. "Our most immediate plans include adding five-hundred beds," said Reed Bergwall, Assistant Director of Facilities Planning. "One of the new dorms will be located near Tuck Mall, next to Butterfield Hall, and the other will probably be located north of Maynard Street, where the old hospital used to be."

Construction on the dorms is the most immediate concern for the College, and will begin later this year, as an architect has already been chosen for the Tuck Mall site. Other projects are in the works, however, such as a new mathematics building where Kiewit used to be, a new dining hall on the north side of campus, an addition that links Collis, Thayer and Robinson Halls, an expansion of the Hopkins Center and a new life-sciences building.

"In addition, we may do significant renovation of existing buildings," said Redman. Potential buildings up for such an overhaul include Wheeler and North Mass Halls, which may have new sections added to them and would require major changes so the new and old sections could be linked more easily.

"There are design issues as far as additions go," Redman concedes, "so eco-friendly components may have to be added instead of a complete renovation." An example of such a piecewise renovation is Hitchcock Hall which underwent replacements in its heating system, windows and insulation last year.

He also pointed out that new dorm facilities would already have to be in place before such renovations occur, so there is not a shortage of beds once the construction goes forward.

The College is currently "getting ready for a capital campaign," to fund these new projects, Redman said. "We are trying to take advantage of technology that is more environmentally friendly and energy efficient."