Post, Gayman lead w. soccer

When you think of women's soccer, you probably think of U.S. national team star Mia Hamm. She gets the Pert Plus commercials and jobs broadcasting games on TV.

But college standouts like the Dartmouth women's soccer captains Jessica Post '00 and Katie Gayman '01 should come to mind as well.

Due in part to their play, last year's team reached the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament before falling to the heavily favored University of Connecticut. This year's team has an excellent shot at repeating such an appearance under Post and Gayman's leadership.

"We will get another NCAA bid," Gayman declares confidently.

Both Post and Gayman agree that this year's team has great of potential. Six other seniors help guide and support the well-balanced team.

And although it is early in the season, Post notes that "when we click, we are a strong team."

Both women are veterans of the sport. Gayman's parents signed her up for myriad after-school activities when she was little, and soccer was the one she stuck with.

Post began playing in the third grade in her hometown of Los Angeles.

Despite their years of experience before coming to Dartmouth, both admitted that they've improved vastly since freshman year. Gayman said players must adjust to the quicker game in college.

Post said, "It is more physical and also a smarter game, with more strategic passes."

For Post and Gayman, the game has changed even more now that they are team captains.

They encourage team unity through team activities. In fact, they recently took a trip akin to a freshman DOC trip to Mount Moosilauke to go hiking and camping.

Both Post and Gayman have had their share of ups and downs while playing soccer for Dartmouth. Post is playing a fifth year due to a knee injury sustained the summer before her sophomore year, which caused her to miss the entire 1997 season.

So far, this season has been extremely successful for her. An assist during a 1-0 shutout of the University of Pennsylvania on Sept. 30 placed her second on Dartmouth's all-time assists record. She only needs four more for the record.

Post's overall scoring record places her within points of teammate Jen Murray '01 for 10th place on the all-time scoring list. Her impressive statistics netted her an All-Ivy honorable mention last season.

Gayman has had a similarly impressive career. As a junior, Gayman was selected by her teammates as a captain.

She also has played with teammates Kristin Luckenbill '01 and Murray on the Greater Boston Bolts under-19 team that played in the Snickers Cup national championship.

Each captain has successfully balanced academics with soccer. Gayman plans to attend medical school. Post is majoring in history and geography, and is considering law school.

Soccer, though, is the major force in their lives. Both captains are extremely vocal on their love for the game, and are enthusiastic about the creation of the Women's United Soccer Association and the new possibilities for women's soccer.

But they agree that playing for Dartmouth has been an amazing experience. The magic of the game draws them, and for these co-captains, there is nothing like finishing a game knowing they gave it their all.

"That's what you play and work for " the feeling is immeasurable," Gayman said.