Panhell fails to meet bid goals

by Wendy Yu | 10/13/00 5:00am

Against all hopes and expectations, two percent of the 226 women who completed the Panhellenic Council rush process did not receive bids, continuing the trend of imperfect matching between rushees and sorority houses begun last year.

That comes out to five or six women who did not receive bids.

Despite the lower number of women who joined rush and the increased size of each pledge class, the number of rushees exceeded the capacity of the sororities, for the second year in a row.

Panhell president Alex Kremer '01 declined to comment.

According to Panhell Vice President Julie Calderon '01, the dropout rate this year was lower than in previous years, so that even though the number of who women signed up was lower than last year, the number of women who stayed on was still problematic.

"By the end of the rush process, we were at the same level as we were last year," Calderon said. "I made as much of an effort to get houses to raise the number [of pledges] as I could."

The size of each pledge class was determined by dividing the projected number of women who would complete rush by six -- the number of sororities -- which came out to approximately 38, an increase from last year.

"We raised all of the pledge classes for each house," Panhell Vice President Julie Calderon '01 said. "We wanted to include more women."

The inability to match every rushee with a house disappointed many Panhell leaders, provoking a rekindling of the debate about adding a seventh sorority, an option that was quashed by the Trustees' approval last spring of a moratorium on any new Greek houses.

"I'm actually really upset," Sigma Delta President Elizabeth Kleinerman '01 said. "It would have been great if we could get 100 percent [matching rate]. If a Dartmouth woman wants to be in a Greek house, she should be in one."

"I'm still a proponent of a seventh sorority," she added. Her house Sigma Delta has a pledge class of 37.

With a limited number of spaces, the desire to accept every rushee clashed with the need to keep pledge classes reasonably small to retain a feeling of intimacy within the house, Panhell leaders said.

"It's unfortunate when [imperfect matching] happens, but it can be very burdensome to have a pledge class be as large as we're asked to in order to include everyone," said Meredith Kessler '01, president of Kappa Kappa Gamma. KKG has a pledge class of 37, of which about 34 have already sunk their bids.

Despite the disappointment created by the lack of spaces in the sorority system, leaders agreed that rush proceeded smoothly and was altogether successful. "It was exciting to have a strong group of '03s come through," Epsilon Kappa Theta President Laura Brockway '01 said. "I think Panhell handled it wonderfully."

Theta has a pledge class of 37, of which 33 have already sunk.

Advertise your student group in The Dartmouth for free!