Field hockey falls at home for first time

After a victory Saturday against winless Yale, the Dartmouth field hockey team ran into stiffer competition yesterday when it hosted Syracuse University at Scully-Fahey Field. The Orangemen (10-5) shut down a Big Green (6-3, 3-1 Ivy) offense that had been averaging over 3.6 goals per game, winning 2-0.

Syracuse's Colleen Cech scored the game's first goal at 29:40 of the first half over Dartmouth netminder Brittany D'Augustine '01. Kristin Aronowicz assisted on the score.

On the second goal, Syracuse attacked the Dartmouth net, forcing D'Augustine to make a pair of saves. Laura Fitzpatrick took a rebound and finally put her shot home at 19:34 of the first half.

Neither team could get on the board in the final period.

D'Augustine registered nine saves in a good effort for the Big Green. Syracuse sophomore goalie Audrey Lastko saved all eight shots she faced for her second shutout of the year.

The loss was Dartmouth's first on its new home field after six straight wins to open the season.

The Big Green will continue to play out of conference for the remainder of the week. They travel first to Boston University on Friday and will then head to the University of Vermont on Sunday.