Fiedler '94 finally gets his shot

The National Football League is dominated by those who come from schools known more for the size of their weight room than the size of their library. Thus, when a player from a small school not known for its football prowess breaks into the league, people regard it as a novelty.

When a player from a small school can step in and actually make an impact, people scratch their heads in surprise.

One person who would not be caught scratching his head is Dartmouth alum Jay Fiedler '94. That is because he is too busy leading the Miami Dolphins in search of an AFC East title.

Yes, you heard right. A Dartmouth grad is starting at quarterback for the Miami Dolphins -- a team that had Dan Marino, one of the greatest passers ever, playing that position only last year.

After missing most of training camp with a hip injury, it appeared that Fiedler would be starting the season as a backup to Damon Huard, who started all but the last pre-season game. Although Huard was thoroughly unimpressive in the preseason, it was still a surprising move when Head Coach Dave Wannstedt opted to go with Fiedler.

In a town still enthralled by Marino's glory years, this caused quite a stir. Everyone weighed in with an opinion of his own, including Marino himself. On a local sports TV show, when Marino offered his view that Huard deserved the nod, controversy raged on even hotter.

The only way to quell the debate was to prove it on the playing field. Fiedler, for one, knew he could do this.

"I didn't know what to expect coming in," Fiedler told The Dartmouth in a telephone interview last week. "I played well before the surgery. I did some good things in the preseason game. I just hoped the coach would make the right decision."

Apparently he did.

Behind Fiedler's leadership, the strong running of Lamar Smith and a stingy defense, the improbable Dolphins stand at 4-1 in the ultra-competitive AFC East. Only the undefeated New York Jets rest above them in the standings.

Fiedler, while not putting up Marino-like numbers, has been able to capitalize on his chances and lead his team to victory. On the season he is 64 of 116 for 777 yards and six touchdowns. He has compiled a respectable 75.3 QB rating.

Numbers are not all that matters to Fiedler though. He set enough records at Dartmouth -- 6,684 career passing yards, 456 completions, 58 touchdowns -- to satisfy his craving for those. What he is playing for now is respect.

Fiedler's route to the NFL was a bit more circuitous than most. Undrafted out of Dartmouth, Fiedler stuck with the Philadelphia Eagles for two years, but resided way down on the depth charts. He only made two appearances in the 1994 and 1995 seasons.

He was let go by the Eagles after the 1995 season. After being cut by the Bengals out of training camp in 1996, he returned home to regroup and wait for any possible suitors. The next opportunity didn't come in an NFL city, but in Europe. Finally, in 1998 the Minnesota Vikings came calling. He signed for the 1998 season, and made five appearances.

Last season Fiedler plied his wares for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He started in one game for the injured Mark Brunell, and passed for 656 yards through the whole season.

Even when things looked grim for his NFL hopes, Fiedler always knew he had the talent to make it -- it was just a matter of putting enough hard work in to make people notice him.

"It has really been a lifetime of hard work for this opportunity," Fiedler remarked. "It's been so much effort over the years, and many pitfalls. It's wonderful to finally reach the goal you've been working your whole life for."

And what about the pressure of filling Marino's quite large shoes? Fiedler does not acknowledge that.

"I don't feel any pressure in that respect," he said. "The pressure I feel is that of being an NFL quarterback. Both on the field and off the field you are scrutinized whatever you do. That's the same no matter who's shoes you're trying to fill."

It is clear Fiedler knows where he has been. The years spent carrying clipboards and toiling in obscurity in Europe are now behind him. He has reached the big time. He is an NFL starting quarterback.

And people are beginning to stop scratching their heads.