Esteve '03 plays at fevered pitch

When you're hot, you're hot. Jero Esteve '03, who shot even par at the Toski Men's Golf Invitational in Amherst, Mass., was hot on the links.

He was also running a 102-degree fever just hours before he teed off in Sunday's opening round, heading for the hospital instead of the driving range.

"I was real sick on Saturday, but it actually helped me I think," Esteve said. "I had a little different attitude, having been sick.

"I was relaxed, I had no worries, which is how you should always play golf anyways," he added. "But being sick made it easier."

Esteve shot 73-71--144 to place second individually out of 110 competitors. Only Central Connecticut's Travis Woods could top that, recording rounds of 70-72--142.

Led by Esteve's remarkable play, the men's golf team finished tied for second place out of 22 teams in the Sunday-Monday tournament.

The team's combined score of 301-298--599, which was identical to Hartford's, was good enough to place it in a tie for second after Central Connecticut, which turned in a score of 592.

Unlike last weekend, when junior Captain Lee Birchall's victory at the Dartmouth Invitational was not enough to lead the Big Green to a top-three finish, the team played more consistently across the board at the Toski.

With Esteve playing like he had in the preseason, in which he once shot a 64, the rest of the team followed suit.

"We all played pretty well," said Esteve, "and I think the course was set up for our team. We could have done better, since the competition was not too stiff, and of course our goal every time we go out there is to finish first."

Birchall took sixth overall with his two-round score of 74-76--150. He was followed by Jon Edwards '01, who shot 74-76--150.

Kyle Yamamoto '03 shot 82-75--157 and Jeremiah Daly '04 turned in cards of 84-80--164.

Birchall had a rather disappointing two days by his own high standards, Birchall -- including a 68-67--135 last week.

"I was a little disappointed by my own results, especially on the back nine [Monday]," said Birchall. "I think I had a chance to win after the front, but I missed a lot of putts and finished four-over on the back.

"As a team though, we played pretty well," Birchall said. "We were consistent, especially today, when our lowest [counting] score was 76."

This young, talented squad has generated a momentum it hopes it can carry throughout the rest of the fall season. During its first tournament of the season, the Big Green struggled out of the starting gate, placing sixth overall after the first day. Dartmouth came back with a vengeance the next day, however, and seemed to carry that momentum and energy into the Toski.

"I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks," Birchall said. "I think we're going to be real strong, with two more tournaments to go, including the New England Championship down in Cape Cod in three weeks."

"I just hope we can keep getting better," Esteve added. "We are among the top three teams in New England, and if we play well, I see no reason why we can't win."