Brown men's soccer gains sole possession of Ivy top spot

Brown 3, Cornell 2

In an offensive display that included 20 shots on goal, the Brown Bears came back from a 1-0 deficit to defeat the Cornell Big Red in Providence on Sunday afternoon.

Cornell got on the board first, scoring just 2:35 into the match. The Bears quickly answered just five minutes later, courtesy of Adrian Rapp. Rapp had a goal and an assist on the afternoon for the Bears.

After the teams traded goals in the first half, Brown scored twice in a dominating second half, with goals in the 48th and 62nd minute, to take a 3-1 lead.

Rapp assisted on the eventual game winner in the 62nd minute, sending a low cross through the box for Edu. Edu turned and one-timed the ball into the net. Cornell added a score with 2:49 left on the clock to cut the lead to 3-2, but the Bears held on in the final minute for victory.

The win improved the Bears' record to 8-4-1 overall and pushed Brown into sole possession of first place in the Ivy League with a 4-0-0 record. Cornell falls to 5-6-1 overall with a 2-2-0 Ivy League record.

Princeton 3, Harvard 0

Princeton dispatched a young Harvard team on Saturday night with ease.

Harvard was stunned in the first half as Princeton's Marty Shaw and Matt Striebel scored within 18 seconds of each other to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead.

Midway through the second half, a Harvard foul in the penalty box led to a Princeton penalty kick. Matt Behncke sent a shot past Crimson goalie Dan Mejias to score his fifth goal of the season and put Princeton ahead by three.

The win was the Tigers' first in the Ivy League this season, which improves their record to 1-3-0 in conference play and 7-5-1 overall. Harvard falls to 6-3-2 overall and 1-3-0 in the Ivy League.

Yale 6, Pennsylvania 0

Jay Alberts scored two goals and added an assist to lead Yale past Penn in New Haven on Friday.

Yale racked up four goals in the first half and tacked on two more in the second to record its fourth shutout of the season. The Quakers only managed to get off three shots while the Bulldogs bombarded Penn goalkeeper Jeff Groeber with 27 shots.

The Bulldogs are now 6-6-1 overall and 2-2-0 in Ivy play. The loss to Yale drops Penn to 0-3-1 in the Ivy League and 5-7-1 overall.