Asbestos removal begins Kiewit demolition

While the finishing touches on many new or renovated buildings are being completed, the demolition process of a key campus building has now begun.

Kiewit Computation Center -- rich in computing history but poor in student affection -- will be razed soon to make room for Carson Hall and the College's northward expansion.

"Right now we are in the process of removing asbestos and lead paint from the building," Project Works Manager Shawn Donovan said. "This step will probably be finished close to the end of October."

After the hazardous materials have been removed, the next step is for the demolition crews to step in and actually begin the process of deconstruction.

For those expecting something like a wrecking ball or an implosion, don't hold your breath.

The "demolition" will actually be a meticulous disassembly of both the interior and exterior of the building. Equipment will be brought inside the building to knock down the walls and welding equipment will be used to cut the steel beams that form the framework of Kiewit.

Simultaneously, heavy machinery will begin work on the exterior by "taking out as many big chunks as they can," Donovan said.

As demolition is occurring, there will be no danger to passing individuals or to surrounding structures.

"This process will occur behind a fence and people will be shielded by it," Donovan said. However, he concedes, people walking by the demolition site should exercise caution and keep an eye out for moving vehicles and machinery.

To allow students to get to classes, the crew will construct a new pathway from the Moore Psychology building to Gerry Hall in between the construction fences.

The demolition, expected to be completed by Thanksgiving, will eventually lead into preliminary excavation and groundwork for Carson Hall.

Carson Hall, an extension of Berry Library, will house the history department. Fences will also enclose the site during the duration of the construction, scheduled to be completed by April, 2002.

As of now, Carson Hall is the only planned structure to replace Kiewit, although it will not cover all of the area formerly occupied by the computing center. The remainder of the land will become an open lawn area, and presently the College has no plans for future construction there.

All of the essential functions and resources of Kiewit have been relocated nearby.

Computing Services administrative offices have been moved to Baker Library and the student computing resources have been moved to nearby Gerry Hall.

The new Berry Library now houses the public printing window in the basement and several 24 hour computer terminals on the ground floor next to the Novack Caf. In addition, there is the curricular and research room from Kiewit near the reference area.

However, the present situation is by no means permanent.

"We had to have a phased project," Berry Library Building Committee Chair John Crane said in reference to the constantly changing state of affairs. "Phase one was the Berry Library construction and phase two is the Baker renovation plus Carson construction."

"The computer technical staff, currently in Gerry, will eventually be relocated to the ground floor of Berry," he said.

Student responses were largely positive on the Kiewit demolition, since the building, for many, remains an eyesore on campus.

"It's not too pretty so I want it to be removed, definitely," Abby Horowitz '03 said.

Other students had similar views. Some also voiced concern over the relocation of computer resources.

"I'm kind of glad to see it go because it's ugly," Stacy Harper '03 said, "but in terms of its function it was very useful. I hope that it will remain easy to get your questions answered as it moves over to Berry."

As to the rumor that the empty Kiewit would be used as a paintballing practice chamber, don't hold your breath either.

"I bumped up the request to the Business Office," Donovan said, "but they said 'no way.'"