Trustees generous in campaign donations

Non-partisan and deliberative though the body may be, many Trustees of Dartmouth give heavily to political candidates, favoring neither Republicans nor Democrats overall.

While Dartmouth College itself is prohibited from participating in political elections because of its nonprofit status, a simple investigation by The Dartmouth revealed that about half of its Trustees donate considerably to politicians, often giving the maximum $1,000 allowed under federal law.

Overall, the political affiliation patterns underscored by the donations differ little from national trends. Neither more conservative nor more liberal than college graduates as a whole -- whom a recent study indicated are split roughly evenly -- the Trustees, as a body, gave nearly equal amounts to candidates from both parties.

And while their giving habits are, of course, unrelated to much of their business, what the campaign donations do reveal is both the Trustees' high level of political participation and their willingness to exercise influence in the electoral field.

Another interesting find in The Dartmouth's investigation concerned top College officials, all of whom abstained from campaign giving. Neither President James Wright nor his wife, Susan, Dean of the College James Larimore, or Provost Susan Prager gave more than $50 -- the minimum amount which must be publicly disclosed -- to any candidates this year.

The Trustee who gave most this election cycle was William Neukom '64, a high-level legal executive for Microsoft whose contributions totalled $11,000. He contributed to four Democrats, including vice-presidential candidate Joe Lieberman, and four Republicans.

Peter Fahey '68, who is known around campus for his role in the Student Life Initiative, gave a total of $8,000 to an even mix of candidates from both parties.

Fahey donated funds to such familiar names as unsuccessful primary candidates Republican John McCain and Democrat Bill Bradley.

For the student curious about the political leanings of the Board's leadership, Chair William H. King Jr.'s donations give limited insight. King '63 contributed to the campaigns of both Democrat Al Gore and Virginian Republican Senate contender George Allen.

Nor was King descriptive in an interview with The Dartmouth.

"I consider that a personal issue," he said. "Who I choose to give money to is really not related to what I do at the College."

Another large Trustee donor this year was Barry MacLean '60, whose donations added up to $7,500. MacLean, a business executive at his own company, gave $7,500 to six Republicans and three Democrats, including Republican presidential candidates George W. Bush and Elizabeth Dole.

MacLean, Neukom and Fahey were not immediately available for interviews yesterday.

Other Trustee donors include Jonathan Newcomb, a publisher at Simon & Schuster Inc., who gave the considerable sum of $6,000 this year, and New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen, who made a total of $1,000 in contributions.

Neither could be reached for comment.