VP candidate unlikely to affect race

While pundits and political analysts alike scramble to explain why Vice President Al Gore chose Connecticut Sen. Joseph Lieberman to make up the other half of the Democratic presidential ticket, professors at Dartmouth who commented on the campaign focused more on what Lieberman brings to the ticket than why he was chosen.

Rockefeller Center Director Linda Fowler disputed the opinions of many pundits, saying that Lieberman's early stance on the Lewinsky scandal as well as the fact that he is the first Orthodox Jew to run for the vice presidency likely played little role in Gore's decision process.

"I don't think people are going to make a decision about Gore's fitness to govern based on Lieberman," Fowler said, describing how Gore's choice may have been affected by public opinion. "The moral tone of the campaign is set by the top of the ticket."

Assistant Professor of Government Dean Spiliotes, however, said these issues and several others may have been considered.

He said that while he thinks Lieberman was a surprising choice, Gore likely considered the Connecticut Senator's moderate stance on many issues which will attract more voters and leave republicans struggling to criticize the campaign.

"Republicans have been tongue-tied on policy and ideology issues the last few days," he said, adding that Lieberman's work with the Democratic Leadership Council have demonstrated his 'new democratic' approach to politics.

Spiliotes noted, however, that Gore's choice may not largely influence the election. "It would be really interesting if [the vice presidential choice] did have an impact," he said. "However, it generally doesn't."

Fowler agreed, saying that she believes Lieberman will bring a great deal to the campaign, although she stressed that she does not think the Democratic or the Republican vice presidential candidates will have a major impact on the outcome of the election.

"Neither vice presidential candidate matters very much," Fowler said. "This is mano a mano between Bush and Gore."

Fowler did, however, say that Lieberman may help to fix issues within Gore's campaign staff that have, in the past, led many to criticize the management of the Democrat's presidential bid.

"Some of the flubs and misstatements in the past have suggested that [Gore] hasn't gotten very good advice," she said. "Lieberman is going to be able to talk turkey to him ... he will act as a confidante and a sounding board," Fowler added.

Despite the opinions of both Fowler and Spiliotes that the vice presidential choice will not affect the outcome of the election, current Gallup polls seem to indicate public support for Gore's choice.

A poll taken August 4-5 immediately after the close of the Republican National Convention indicated Gore trailed Republican candidate George W. Bush by 19 percent of registered voters.

A poll taken two days later after Gore's vice presidential announcement indicated the gap had narrowed to a statistical dead heat, with Gore trailing by just two percent.

Spiliotes attributed the recent increase to Gore's announcement making people think twice about abandoning his ticket so quickly, especially after several days of coverage of Bush at the convention.

"These post-convention bounces [in the polls] generally evaporate quickly," he said.

Fowler additionally said she doubted whether Lieberman's religion would affect votes in the November election, although Spiliotes said it may solidify some of the traditional democratic base.

"It turns out that there is a very high correlation between racism and anti-semitism," Fowler said. "The Democrats' stance on affirmative action and homosexual rights have already caused most of the people who would have a problem with [his religion] to leave the party."

She said that one of the most important things Lieberman brings to the ticket will be a working knowledge of and rapport with both parties, which Fowler said will be especially important if they win the election.

"He is one of the few people who can talk to both sides," Fowler said, adding, "Everyone respects him and