Students to reside in Phi Delt

The Phi Delta Alpha fraternity house, dormant since the fraternity was derecognized Spring term, has finally found a new calling -- as rental housing for graduate students.

The decision to lease the 14 rooms to graduate students was made at the beginning of this summer, after discussions between the Phi Delt Corporation president and former members of the fraternity.

"Obviously it's not our first choice because we'd like to be living there, but given the circumstances and our need for money, it's the best option," Benjamin Steele '02 said, former member of Phi Delt, charged with handling the negotiations.

The need to pay insurance and taxes for the property with some form of income prompted Steele to enter the house into the graduate student housing market.

According to Steele, Phi Delt did not offer the space for undergraduate housing because "if any undergraduates were going to live there, it would be Phi Delt brothers."

College derecognition sanctions prohibit undergraduates from residing in the house.

Steele contacted the graduate students office for help in locating graduate students who would be interested in renting rooms.

But Steele emphasized the fact that College involvement is minimal in the arrangement and will not be responsible either for the house nor the tenants.

"This is really being done mostly without the College's help. [Tenants] will be paying rent directly to us," Steele said. "The property is still ours -- we don't plan on ever selling to the College."

Gary Hutchinson, assistant dean of graduate studies, posted a bulletin advertising the Phi Delt house and has already received responses from 12 people.

Demand for housing for graduate students is very large, he said.

The new residents are scheduled to move in September 1. According to Steele, many of them are international students and will need to arrive in time for orientation.

Former Phi Delt brothers will clean up the house and remove any unwanted furniture between now and then.

The leases, which will last for one year, have not been signed yet and the amount of rent has not yet been decided upon.

After next year, Phi Delt must once again make a decision about what to do with their house.

"We'll just take it from there," Steele said.

Phi Delt was derecognized last March until at least 2002 for involvement in a fire at Chi Gamma Epsilon fraternity and other College violations.

The College allows the house to be used for any purposes that the organization feels are appropriate, as long as the house complies with local zoning laws. As a result, alumni receptions were held during Commencement and Reunion week, but the house has not been used since.