Skiway, rugby projects on schedule

After $6.2 million worth of construction, the Dartmouth community can look forward to two new athletic facilities for the upcoming academic year -- an extensively refurbished skiway and perhaps the world's first coed rugby house.

Renovations on the Dartmouth Skiway are scheduled to be completed by Dec. 1, according to Assistant Director of Facilities Planning Jack Wilson. The $3.5 million allotted to the project has been completely raised, and the College has nearly collected an additional $1 million for snowmaking.

Developments on the skiway will include the construction of a new base lodge, an improved drop-off area for cars and buses, a reconfigured parking lot and a new pedestrian and skier plaza.

Wilson estimated the work is about 30 percent finished.

The new lodge will be expanded to 16,000 square feet -- a full 12,040 square feet larger than the current space. The dining facilities will be able to accommodate 400 seats as opposed to 125, and the bathrooms will also be larger. The ski team will have improved rooms and office space as well.

Skiway Manager Don Cutter '73 said that the increased amount of space will allow the lodge to host off-season functions. The physics department has already booked the skiway for an activity next summer, and Cutter also hopes that Dartmouth will be chosen to host the 2002 NCAA ski championships.

Cutter further said that the skiway construction is making great efforts to be as energy efficient as possible. Some of the wood was cut off college land, and beams from the old structure were sold to be used in a new pool construction. Wood paneling was saved for reuse, and stones from the original fireplace will also be used again.

Members of the Dartmouth ski teams are especially excited about the skiway construction.

"The skiway's much overdue new lodge is really going to be an asset for the Alpine Ski Team," Tracy Wilson '02 said. "Aside from the on-site locker room we will now have access to, the lodge's overall capacity will increase dramatically and make skiing at the skiway a much more enjoyable experience for all."

Dawson Brown '02 agreed: "Few people realize that we are consistently one of the top teams in the country. It's nice to see our coaches and athletes rewarded for that kind of hard work and commitment."

Construction on the brand new Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse is scheduled to take place September through April. Fundraising drives have collected all of the money needed for the $1.7 million project.

The clubhouse is being named in honor of Dartmouth rugby supporter Corey Ford, and a portion of the money he bequeathed to the rugby teams is helping to pay the construction costs.

The new house will have men's and women's team rooms, locker rooms for visiting teams, shower facilities, a training room, coaches' offices, a club room suitable for banquets, a small kitchen and storage space. The clubhouse will open right out onto the rugby fields.

In a separate renovation, the rugby fields will widened and reseeded. The improvements will also include an irrigation system and new topsoil.

College Architect George Hathorn believes that Dartmouth will have one of the first rugby clubhouses in the United States, and it may possibly be the first coed rugby house in the world.

"This will give [Dartmouth rugby] an identity and its own home," Hathorn said. "It shouldn't have any adverse impact on the neighboring residents." He spoke highly of the success of the Dartmouth Rugby Club, and said having a house will only help the team become stronger.

The Dartmouth rugby players are looking forward to having an athletic facility of their own.

"The Corey Ford Rugby Clubhouse will be a source of prestige, invigorating our rugby program on both a symbolic and practical level," President of the men's rugby team Raymond Gilliar '01 explained in a BlitzMail message.

"The Dartmouth Rugby Football Club was founded in 1951, so on this, the eve of our 50th anniversary, our new home will be erected as a testimony to Dartmouth athletic excellence, honoring triumphs past and housing the Dartmouth Rugby successes of the 21st century," he continued.

Added Bridget Waitkus '02, "I think it's going to bring both our men's and women's teams together as well as provide an accommodating place to hold tournaments and other regional rugby functions. I'm grateful for all the alumni support we have received and I'm sure the construction will prove to be as great as myself and the team anticipate."