Convention Perspective II

PHILADELPHIA -- The final two evenings of the Republican National Convention continued stressing the idea that a new Bush administration will restore honor to the office of the President. The events brought energized crowds, upbeat tones and top-notch entertainment to the First Union Center.

The third night

With excitement building by the minute, the third evening of the convention began with applause, singing and playful dancing by the delegates on the floor of the First Union Center.

The greatest applause of the evening accompanied Dick Cheney's Vice Presidential acceptance speech. Although frequently criticized for being more introverted and less political than the ideal national candidate, Cheney's speech Wednesday night showcased both his potential charisma and keen grasp of the issues facing the party.

The audience might have expected a stoic intellectual and business mogul, but instead they listened with great enchantment and enthusiasm to a man who spoke with ease and grace. Cheney riled the crowd while championing the end of the Clinton-Gore era and the beginning of a new period swept by the winds of change.

Audience members included pro-wrestler "The Rock," Ben Stein, Bo Derek, Michael J. Fox and Billy Baldwin. With entertainment provided by the swiveling-hipped Latin legend John Secada, the crowd was boisterous and bordering on rowdy. The general mood was positive, as audience members celebrated the current progress happening to the party.

One highlight of the evening was Lynne Cheney's warm introduction speech for her husband Dick Cheney. She used a conversational tone to share details about her husband not widely known to the public.

His passion for history, his love of fly fishing and his relationship with his daughters were all highlighted in her introduction. In speaking with the crowd, she made her husband's imposing name more personal, and the crowd responded with great enthusiasm.

Despite predictions by some that he might be viewed as a rather flat and boring candidate, Cheney kept his audience excited. His message was one of change and revival.

Chaney remarked that the nation has lived through eight years of the Clinton-Gore administration, and "we can't see one without thinking of the other." Without ever attacking the Democratic candidates personally or mentioning details of the Clinton scandals, Chaney presented his firm view that "the winds of change are here."

The fourth night

The final evening of the convention brought continued revelry and the persisting message that electing a new Bush administration is the way to restore honor to the office of the President. With a theme "Presidency With A Purpose: A Strong Leader Who Can Unite Our Country and Get Things Done," the focus turned almost solely to Presidential hopeful Texas Gov. Bush himself.

To the near riotous cheers of delegates, politicians and guests, George W. Bush was officially and unanimously named the official Republican candidate for the November 2000 election.

Once the nomination was completed, it came time to focus on the more "human" side of the candidate. A longtime family friend spoke about Texas Gov. Bush's dedication to his family.

Next, George P. Bush, son of Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, took center stage. Again highlighting the new breed of Republicans, George P. Bush represents all those qualities of the new generation of Republicans. He is young, multi-racial, committed to a cause and dedicated to his family. The young Bush spoke with genuine conviction about his dedication to his uncle and their shared cause -- to restore power, honor and dignity to our nation's highest office.

With just a short time remaining until November's presidential acceptance speech, one can only speculate how grand the celebration will be and how powerfully the winds of change may sweep the nation if the Republican party emerges victorious.

However, some things remain doubtless. The Republican Party is in a period of radical transition. It is remodeling its image to draw new generations of Republicans. Through a repackaging of its policy agenda and a refining of its image, the party is attempting to appeal to the women, the young, the minorities, and all groups previously alienated by its public image.

Kathleen Reeder is working for the George Bush campaign and is The Dartmouth's contributing analyst at the 2000 Republican National Convention.