Congress awards $1B to academia

Congress research grants to academic institutions, more notoriously known as pork-barrel spending, crossed the $1 billion mark for the first time this year -- with Dartmouth garnering the eighth largest piece of the pork after being awarded $15 million earlier this year to establish the Institute for Security Technology.

Pork-barrel spending and awards, which have soared up 31 percent from last year's figure of $797 million, are usually seen in a negative light because such funds are directly appropriated to academic institutions without competition or what could be considered an appropriate level of peer-review.

The granting of such awards also often depends on universities' connections with members of the powerful appropriations committees in Congress.

In Dartmouth's case, Sen. Judd Gregg, a Republican from New Hampshire and a member of the Appropriations' Committee, lent critical support in securing funds for the institute in Hanover.

"We owe a great deal to Sen. Judd," Lewis Duncan, Dean of the Thayer School of Engineering told The Dartmouth.

However, Duncan defended Dartmouth's receiving of the grant and the College's involvement in developing the institute.

"I don't think Dartmouth is embarrased" at receiving this money, Duncan said. "We are proud and privileged to be responding to a national need."

At public affairs, Director of News and Public Information Roland Adams said direct congressional appropriations have historically been viewed in a negative light, adding that news sources exacerbate their image by using the word "pork."

Duncan outlined four criteria that the College considers before receiving a portion of the pork -- the project must meet a significant national need, it must converge the interests and capabilities of Dartmouth's faculty, it must be highest quality work and the project must have no other means of funding other than direct congressional action.

While admitting that many other universities try to procure pork-barrel funds that are inappropriate, Duncan said Dartmouth does not pursue funds in that manner. He further added that the project to develop the security institute focusing on cyber security is both appropriate and meets all of the College's strict criteria.

Duncan further defended the project and its funding, saying that the creation of the institute is in accordance with College President James Wright's vision of improving research opportunities at Dartmouth.

"I think [the project] is very much in line with making this a strong teaching-research institute," Duncan said, adding that the institute enables students and faculty to work together on research projects and also offers employment opportunities for Dartmouth graduates.

Duncan said the institute is currently completing its first-year where it concentrated on a number of activities focusing mainly on cyber-security and infrastructure protection.

He added that the project is preparing to launch into its second-year and the College is hoping congressional appropriations next year mirror this year's figure of $15 million.