Students prepare for Tubestock

Students will begin preparations this week to float en masse down the Connecticut River for the 14th annual Tubestock on Saturday in what is expected to be the largest social event of the summer.

Historically the event has been a high point for students on campus during the Summer term, giving them a chance to relax in the sun while consuming both non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages.

Greek houses and other organizations are expected to build rafts, and most students will rent or buy inner tubes to float along with the crowd on Saturday afternoon.

Despite the widespread popularity of the event with students over the last several years, as well as the high attendance each time it is held, the College has maintained complete seperation from the event throughout its history.

Students in the past have not been permitted by the College to enter or exit the river from the New Hampshire shore, facing troubles with Safety and Security patrolling the area if they do.

Students have traditionally avoided this problem by treking across Ledyard Bridge and using the Vermont shore.

The tradition of Tubestock evolved out of a party thrown in the summer of 1987 by Rich "Boomer" Akerboom '80 for several of his friends.

Akerboom, a brother of Chi Heorot fraternity during his time at the College, played with his band on the deck of his house, the "River Ranch," in front of approximately 200 people at the first Tubestock.

The event has gained popularity ever since and has evolved into the rafting party that it is today.

The 1999 Tubestock corresponded with the College's annual sophomore parents weekend and many families up for the weekend decided to observe the event from shore. This year's event will most likely not have as many spectators.

It is expected that, as in the past, there will be several bands playing on the Vt. side of the river as well as at least several hundred students and alumni swimming in the river.

Extended outlook forecasts for the weekend predict a high near 80-degrees with partly cloudy skies on Saturday during the event.