New honor society to provide leadership roles

An academic honor society for underclassmen at Dartmouth -- a chapter of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NCSC) -- has just been formally recognized by the Committee on Student Organizations.

NCSC will focus on creating an even greater academic presence on campus, through its induction ceremonies, awards, community-wide academic events and community service, Chapter President Meg Steven '02 said.

The chapter had its beginnings this winter, when Steven was contacted by the NCSC's national office about the possibility of creating a chapter at Dartmouth.

Seeing the need for such an organization on campus, Steven began working with Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy, Dean of the College James Larimore and students to create the organization.

In high school, many students had constant reinforcement for their academic achievement, yet are overwhelmed that everyone is so intelligent upon coming to Dartmouth, Steven said. The society hopes to reward those freshmen and sophomores who make the college transition successfully and give them opportunities for leadership as underclassmen.

The society received help from the Golden Key Society, the honor society for upperclassmen, and the two societies hope to do many joint projects in the future.

Last Wednesday, the chapter was officially recognized by COSO, and is already making plans for the Fall term.

They will focus on contacting all eligible '03s -- students with grade point averages of 3.4 or higher -- and informing them about the organization and encouraging them to join. Members of the Class of 2004 will be eligible next spring.

It would be great to have a large number of students join, students excited about what the organization stands for, Steven said.

Much work will be put into the induction ceremony for the new members, she added. At the induction ceremony, the society will grant honorary membership to professors and administrators who have supported them.

Later in the year, the Society will present an annual Merit Award to one outstanding member who has demonstrated scholarship, leadership and service -- the society's three pillars.

Year-round, the Society will host academic events, bringing professors and students together to excite the academic presence on campus.

A community service program, "Planning for College Success," will be another one of the Society's main projects. Members will mentor seventh-grade students in local Vermont middle schools, giving them a small taste of the college atmosphere at Dartmouth. The program will help middle school students get excited about college and enter high school with a goal in mind, Stevens said,

Dartmouth's National Society of Collegiate Scholars chapter will join chapters stretching from UCLA and Stanford to Cornell and MIT.