Hanover sways on tree cutting issue

It is still the end of the line for the rope swing, but the fate of the actual tree to which the swing is attached is still hanging in the balance.

Although the town of Hanover originally said that both would be cut down by July 9, difficulties in removing the tree have slowed the proceedings and may possibly thwart cutting down the tree altogether. However, this does not mean students will still be able to sneak a plunge into the river.

According to Town Manager Julia Griffin the actual rope will be cut down within a week, and the wooden steps nailed into the tree will be removed. A small fence will be wrapped around the base of the trunk and a sign will inform visitors that the tree is off-limits for swinging.

If people will discontinue their use of the tree as a platform for swinging then the town will most likely not cut it down, said Griffin. "Folks who love the tree are hoping we can achieve this."

But if the new implementations fail to discourage rope-goers, the town of Hanover will be forced to wrestle with cutting down the actual tree. The roots and trunk would have to be left intact, as they are holding together a substantial portion of the riverbank.

Griffin further warned that the Hanover police department is now strictly enforcing the $100 fine for being in the vicinity of the rope swing after sunset and before sunrise. The department has even printed new ticket forms for violators.

Student reactions have continued to be upset with the news, although most recognize the validity of the town's concerns.

"It's difficult because part of me is really disappointed. At the same time, I can understand," Jon Sussman '02 said. "I think it's unfortunate we're all going to lose the rope swing without being given a chance to prove we can do so without disturbing the neighbors."

Other students expressed doubt that Hanover's latest attempt to get rid of the rope swing will have any lasting effects.

"I don't think it will work. The swing has been there for several years. It always comes back," Lauren Grabowski '02 said.

In explaining the decision to definitively eliminate the rope swing, Griffin said the town's concern is two-fold.

"Our liability insurance carrier would not cover an incident if a serious injury occurred there or someone was killed. The town has to take responsibility," she said.

The town's insurance carrier told Griffin to get rid of the rope swing as soon as possible.

Noise from late-evening rope swingers has also been a problem in the neighborhood, and their complaints influenced Griffin's decision as well.

"It's the night use that has had the community awake night after night after night," she said. "No one should have to live like that."

In a previous interview with The Dartmouth a resident described the noisy situation experienced by neighbors due to the rope swing. "There is always parking along the road, even at night, and you can hear squealing tires," she said. You always hear people walking and talking."

"I'm hoping that the promise to chop down the rope swing was either a rumor or a false promise just to thin out the number of people going down there," Mike Bober '02 said.

Rumors have, in fact, been circulating that the location of the rope swing tree places it under New Hampshire state protection and that special permission must be obtained before cutting it down, thus halting the proceedings.

Griffin, however, said that these rumors are false.

For now, the official word still holds that the rope is coming down. Whether the tree remains stands as well will depend on whether people keep out of its branches or not.