Cheney represents safe VP choice

After Tuesday's announcement that former Defense Secretary Dick Cheney would be Texas Gov. George W. Bush's running mate this fall, pundits have buzzed with opinions over what this would mean for the GOP's presidential bid.

While many have expressed surprise that Cheney, a member of both the Ford and Bush administrations and a long-time member of Congress, was chosen despite his history as a 'Washington insider,' others have approved the decision and said that Cheney brings experience to the Bush campaign.

"On the campaign perspective, he's not really going to bring a lot to the candidate," Assistant Professor of Government Dean Spiliotes told The Dartmouth. "Cheney brings experience in Washington ... he has experience in areas Bush doesn't -- it will ease people's concerns about that."

Spiliotes, however, said he does not expect Bush to either lose or gain any votes from his decision.

"I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference," he said. "This is someone who is not going to hurt [the Bush campaign]."

While many others were considered to be frontrunners for the vice presidential spot on the ticket, Cheney dominated the pool in the days leading to his selection.

Some have criticized Bush for choosing a conservative, non-controversial candidate for the position, citing other potential running mates who would have brought such issues as abortion rights to the table.

Spiliotes, however, said that the somewhat safer choice of Cheney was not surprising. "He was the non-controversial pick ... it may upset some conservatives who are moderately pro-choice, but he brings a level of security to the campaign," he said.

Cheney is pro-life.

Others also speculated that Sen. John McCain, R-Az., would be Bush's choice for the position, however this would likely have been a controversial issue for the campaign.

"Bush was the type who would want clear loyalty and McCain didn't fit that bill," Spiliotes said. "I don't think they really like each other [personally] either."

Cheney will also unlikely draw criticism based on scandal in his past.

The only true black mark on his record is a series of 21 bad checks he wrote, which caused him to be investigated by the House Ethics Committee over involvement in the House banking scandal. He told the committee that he always had a positive balance and no checks were returned for insufficient funds.

Spiliotes said the only criticism he expects Cheney to draw will be based on his connection with large donations from oil companies during his past years in politics and the perception of him as a Washington insider.

While Cheney was chosen earlier this week, Gore is not expected to announce his running mate until the first weeks of August.

Many have said that the Bush's choice does not hinder Gore's search; indeed, Spiliotes noted that it gives Gore an opportunity to choose someone younger and more lively than Cheney to round out his ticket.

"Cheney is laid back, he doesn't have a big, boisterous ego," Spiliotes said. He added that "Gore has the chance to pick someone" who will get people more excited.

While he said he did not expect Cheney to pull in votes, Spiliotes noted that most people do not base their vote on the vice presidential candidate anyway.