'Substantial' Change

When the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council elected summer leaders Sunday night, it took a step in the right direction. It was a step toward forming the "substantially coeducational" community that we've heard about so much recently.

Out of six elected officials, three were women, including the president. This is despite the fact that a majority of votes on the CFSC are held by single sex male fraternities.

Whether or not the council discussed the potential impact of the election in terms of gender Sunday night, the fact remains that this is only the second time in over 20 years that a woman has held the top-ranking position in this overarching Greek organization.

This dominantly-female leadership is particularly noteworthy because of the accusations that Delta Delta Delta sorority made against the council last term -- claiming its own goals are not in line with those of the CFSC -- when it seceded from the organization.

Has a council that elects women to half of its posts and whose new president has vowed to focus on women's issues, as Tri-Delt suggested, not made a serious commitment to serving the Greek women on campus?

Does the council -- as the administration and Trustees have repeatedly implied -- lack a commitment to promoting coeducation at Dartmouth?

Although these questions and others have yet to be fully answered, this summer should be a time for the council to demonstrate its ability to deal with a wide range of issues, especially in light of the Initiative, and to represent all elements of the Greek community on campus.

Indeed, Melanie Schechter '02, newly elected CFSC summer president, has vowed to focus on women's issues. We challenge her to do just that. And we hope the College community recognizes that significant changes are, in fact, being realized in this oft-disputed arena.