Harvard clinches Ivy with split vs. Green

The Crimson and the Big Green softball teams were both in must-win situations going into their doubleheader in Cambridge yesterday.

Harvard needed just one win to clinch the 2000 Ivy League championship, while Dartmouth needed a sweep to remain in contention. Although the Big Green was able to win a pitcher's duel of an opening game 3-2, the Crimson's pitcher Suzanne Guy and her three-hitter in Game 2 overpowered Dartmouth for a 2-0 win.

The first game was a showdown between two of the best pitchers in the Ivy League.

Ivy Rookie of the Week Christine Quattrocchi '03 and Ivy Pitcher of the Week Chelsea Thoke of Harvard both did their part to shut down opposing batters, but Dartmouth would break through first.

In the second inning, Jenny Harsey '01 was hit by a pitch and Carrie Hoverman '01 walked. Harsey was driven in on a single by Carrie Sekela '01 and Hoverman followed on a single by Sarah Damon '02, giving Dartmouth a 2-0 lead.

Harvard knotted the score at 2-2 in the third when Tiffany Whitton opened the inning with a single and moved to second when Ghia Godfree reached first on an error. Deborah Abeles then came to the plate and doubled to score them both.

The score stayed tied at 2-2 through five innings. Dartmouth picked up the go-ahead run in the top of the sixth when Kisa Brannen '03 led off the inning with a double. She advanced to third on Harsey's sacrifice bunt and scored on a Hoverman sac fly to right field.

Quattrocchi allowed seven hits, one earned run and struck out six on the afternoon en route to the win. Chelsea Thoke went the distance for Harvard, giving up six hits and striking out seven.

Big Green senior Stacy Sanders was on the mound in the second game, and she held the Crimson to five hits. Unfortunately, a solo home run by Tiffany Whitton in the first inning would be all the Crimson needed with Suzanne Guy on the mound.

Guy went the distance, scattering three singles and facing only facing 24 batters for the win. Harvard picked up an insurance run in the third when Ivy Player of the Week Mairead McKendry had an RBI single.

Dartmouth improved to 28-12 on the season, 7-3 in the Ivy League, while the Crimson went to 18-19 overall, 10-1 in the conference.

The Big Green travels to Central Connecticut on Saturday before wrapping up the regular season against Cornell on Sunday.