Few candidates seek COS offices

While the Winter term Computer Science 4 cheating scandal brought fresh attention to the Committee on Standards and its decisions, fewer students are running this year for open positions than in the recent past.

Only 16 students are up for the six positions that will be filled via student vote tomorrow and Thursday.

Although the numbers of students running has greatly varied in the past, this is unusually low when compared to the numbers for the most recent years, according to Undergraduate Judicial Affairs Officer Marcia Kelly.

"We've had years where there have been fewer than six people running," she said, but pointed out that of late the COS has seen twice the number of candidates as in this year's election.

"In recent years we've had as many as 35," Kelly said. She said she was surprised by this year's low number and does not have an explanation as to why fewer people are seeking the office this year.

Director of Student Activities Linda Kennedy, who oversees student elections, said she does not feel the CS4 cases had either a dampening or surging effect on the number of candidates.

While the debacle may not have had an effect on the number of candidates, it did serve as a motivation for some of those who did choose to run for positions, which are only open to rising juniors and seniors.

Juan Vasquez '02 said that he took the scandal into consideration when deciding to put his name on the ballot.

"It definitely did have an effect," he said. "I think that as a result obviously the COS was brought into the limelight."

He also pointed out that the scandal highlighted the mystery that envelopes the committee and its inner-workings, saying that he hopes to "explicate" it for the entire campus.

Neil Danberg '02, however, did not credit the CS4 scandal for having incited his candidacy.

"That really didn't play much of a part in my decision to run for COS," he said. "I've always wanted to be involved in student government and student affairs and I thought that this would be a great way to do so."

The selection of members to serve on the COS is a two-part process. Students elect six members in the spring, and Dean of the College James Larimore appoints members to the remaining six positions each fall.

"The appointment process basically exists for a couple of reasons," Kelly explained. "Its main purpose is to ensure gender and ethnic diversity as well as diversity of academic majors. We look at the people who have been elected and where we have some holes."

Students wishing to be appointed by the dean next fall must submit applications and recommendations and, depending on the number of applicants, complete an interview process.

Kelly admitted that it is often hard to judge the integrity of the candidates from what they have written in their applications.

"That's something that's very difficult," she said.

Yet no changes are being made in the process as a result of the computer science debacle.

"I don't really think that the CS 4 incident has had any effect on the qualifications of the committee," she said.

Kelly feels that no changes to the process are necessary because she said it has provided the committee with highly qualified members in the past.

"I think that the students who have worked on the committee this year and in previous years have worked really hard and done a really outstanding job," she said.